Somali gunmen demand $4 mn to free aid workersApril 22nd, 2009 - 9:09 am ICT by IANS
Mogadishu, April 22 (Xinhua) The Somali gunmen holding two foreign aid workers hostage in southern Somalia have demanded a ransom of $4 million for releasing the captives.
“We are the people holding the hostages, a Dutch and a Belgian, working for MSF (Medicins Sans Frontieres) and we demand that anyone with a pity for these men should pay us $4 million,” Ibrahim Ali Hassan, the self-proclaimed gang leader, told Shabelle Radio in Mogadishu Tuesday.
The two hostages were abducted Monday by a group of armed men as they travelled in the southern Somali region of Bakool.
One of the hostage, who also spoke to the radio station, identified himself as Georgen from Belgium and informed that another man from the Netherlands was also under the captivity of the gunmen.
The gang leader said the situation in which they are holding hostages is “tough one with no adequate water and food”. He did not say where they were holding the hostages but acknowledged that they took the hostages for “money” and called for the ransom to be paid “as soon as possible”.
Several foreign nationals, including journalists and aid workers, have been under the captive of several criminal gangs who are demanding ransom for thier release.
- Journalist shot dead in Somalia - sixth this year - May 24, 2012
- German engineer abducted in Somalia - Jan 22, 2012
- Five Somali kids killed in school bombing - Aug 28, 2012
- UN warns famine could spread in Somalia without international aid - Aug 02, 2011
- Somali pirates want Indian hostages swapped with jailed colleagues - Apr 16, 2011
- UN declares famine in two southern regions of Somalia - Jul 20, 2011
- 9,000 displaced in Somalia violence - May 27, 2012
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- Italian embassy staffer kidnapped in Yemen - Jul 30, 2012
- Two 'Save the Children' aid workers kidnapped in Somalia - Oct 15, 2010
- British aid worker released after kidnapping in Somalia - Oct 20, 2010
- Shrill media voices adversely affecting Somalian hostage crisis - Mar 12, 2011
- Somali radio station director killed - Feb 29, 2012
- Pirates Abduct 43 Sailors; Holding Them for Ransom - Oct 18, 2010
- Ship owners ask Somali pirates to release seven Indians (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011
Tags: abducted, adequate water, aid workers, ali hassan, armed men, bakool, captives, captivity, criminal gangs, foreign aid, foreign nationals, gang leader, gunmen, hostages, ibrahim ali, mogadishu, ransom, somali region, southern somalia, xinhua