Somali forces free hijacked Indian shipOctober 22nd, 2008 - 1:14 am ICT by IANS
Mogadishu, Oct 21 (Xinhua) Security forces in Somalia have freed an Indian ship hours after reports that it had been hijacked, officials said Tuesday.The security forces apprehended four pirates while four other escaped after a shootout, a local official said.
The ship, which had sailed from India, was carrying sugar and was headed for the port of Berbera in northwest Somalia, Liban Mohamed Yusuf, a local businessman, who owns much of the goods on board the ship, told reporters.
No one was reported to be injured in the operation to free the hijacked ship.
The operation was the second of its kind in a week. Last week, security forces succeeded in freeing another ship carrying merchandise for local businessmen.
Earlier Tuesday, Andrew Mwangura of the East African Seafarers’ Assistance Program said the cargo-laden vessel was sailing from Asia to Somalia amid fears that it was hijacked by armed gunmen over the weekend.
The waters off the war-torn Horn of Africa nation are considered to be some of the world’s most dangerous as pirates have hijacked nearly 30 ships this year and attacked many more.
Most attacks have been in the Gulf of Aden between Yemen and north Somalia, a major shipping route leading to the Suez canal linking Europe and Asia.
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Panamanian-flagged vessel pirated off Somalia - Nov 11, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack ship with Indian crew - Aug 02, 2010
- Somali pirates seize ship with 12 crew - Sep 25, 2010
- Armed guards to protect British ships from pirates - Oct 30, 2011
- Iranian navy saves US vessel from pirates - May 24, 2012
- Freed merchant vessel crew safely proceeding to Oman: Government - Jun 15, 2011
- Bangladesh loses communication with hijacked ship - Dec 07, 2010
- Indian seafarers reach Mumbai after being released by Somali pirates - Feb 18, 2010
- Somali pirates seize ship with 23 Chinese crew - Apr 11, 2010
- 'Fresh piracy attempt on freed merchant ship, crew safe' (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Fresh pirate attack on freed vessel, India rushes warship (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Somali pirates release ship with all Indian crew - Apr 16, 2011
- 53 Indian sailors still under Somali pirates captivity - Mar 10, 2011
- Panama-flagged merchant vessel carrying cement bags hijacked in the Gulf of Aden - Aug 02, 2010