‘Solar jacket’ lets Kindle last foreverApril 4th, 2012 - 1:22 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 4 (IANS) A solar Kindle case lets readers “top up” their gadget simply by leaving it in the sun.
The case has a built-in solar panel and battery, which is guaranteed to provide three months of reading time in “normal” sunlight, without dipping into Kindle’s own power.
The gadget goes on sale this week, priced at $80, Daily Mail reported Tuesday.
Once the gadget’s topped up, the SolarKindle diverts power to a backup battery.
Eight hours will fully charge the backup, which offers roughly three weeks’ use. The battery also powers an LED light, which can run for 50 hours.
Given that Kindle is built for wireless use, with books and gadgets delivered to the gizmo via wi-fi or cellular networks, it’s likely many SolarKindle-equipped e-readers may never be plugged in at all, the newspaper said.
The leather-clad pouch with charger panel and battery comes at quite a premium, though - it’s $80, only $30 short of the price of Kindle itself.
- Amazon.com Presents 'Kindle' Worth $139 As Its Rivalry Against Apple Intensifies - Jul 30, 2010
- Amazon Unveils New $139 Kindle, as Copia Announces Upcoming $99 E-Reader - Jul 30, 2010
- Kindle best-selling gadget in Britain, US - Jan 01, 2011
- Amazon unveils new-generation Kindle - Jul 29, 2010
- A look at three low-cost tablets (To go with tablet market story) - Aug 12, 2012
- Amazon introduces new Kindle e-reader, HD tablet - Sep 07, 2012
- iPhone app tells you when to water your plants - May 20, 2012
- Vodafone launches mobile wi-fi device - Mar 14, 2011
- Solar ATMs fuel rural revolution in India - Jan 03, 2012
- Amazon's Kindle to be launched in India on October 19th - Oct 08, 2009
- Apple iPad priced at $499 - Jan 28, 2010
- India's Rs.1,500 laptop a godsend for students - Jul 23, 2010
- Now, spray-on polymer to produce full-colour e-readers powered by Sun - Sep 22, 2010
- Amazon cuts price of Kindle e-book reader - Jun 22, 2010
- Google, O-Zone tie up to provide free Wi-Fi access - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,