Smokers in cars with kids may be penalised in WalesJuly 16th, 2011 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 16 (IANS) Wales may become the first European province where people accompanying children in cars could be penalised for putting their health at risk by smoking.
The plan, being considered by the Labour-led Welsh Assembly, could result in drivers crossing the border from England being arrested if they have a lighted cigarette, Daily Express reported Saturday.
Welsh first minister Carwyn Jones said: “We will not shy away from considering legislation to further protect children from second-hand smoke.”
But the smoking-ban move witnessed objections Friday, as the proposal came under fire from motoring groups and some MPs.
Tory MP David Davies, whose Monmouth constituency falls on the border, said: “I don’t condone smoking and everyone knows it is bad for health and can kill people.
“But this move by the Welsh Assembly is reaching the stage where smokers are being victimised which can’t be right.”
But doctors and health groups hailed the move.
Tanya Buchanan, Wales chief executive of anti-smoking group ASH, said: “We know children are particularly susceptible to the damaging health effects of second-hand smoke.
“There is strong public support for such a ban with four out of five adults supportive of this move.”
The Welsh Assembly could introduce legislation within five years.
- California town to ban smoking even in one's backyard - Feb 26, 2012
- Second-hand cigarette smoke associated with raised blood pressure in boys - May 02, 2011
- Mumbai cabbies say no to tobacco - May 31, 2011
- How second-hand smoke may increase vulnerability to nicotine addiction - May 03, 2011
- No ban on smoking in British parks - Jul 29, 2010
- British doctors want ban on smoking in cars - Nov 16, 2011
- Beware! Passive smoking riskier than you think (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2012
- China's smoking ban likely to go up in smoke - May 03, 2011
- Hookah bars violating anti-smoke rules: NGO - Oct 01, 2011
- Anti-smoking campaigners rally against Johnny Depp's Rango - Mar 12, 2011
- British town to ban smoking on streets - Jun 30, 2011
- Brazil bans smoking in public spaces - Dec 16, 2011
- Britain to ban smoking in public parks - Aug 09, 2011
- City Councilman 'calls for ban on creation of new hookah bars' - Oct 25, 2010
- Second-hand smoke ups invasive meningococcal disease risk in kids - Dec 08, 2010
Tags: ash, buchanan, children in cars, cigarette, constituency, crossing the border, daily express, david davies, effects of second hand smoke, first minister, health effects, health groups, monmouth, mps, objections, second hand smoke, smokers, smoking ban, tory mp, welsh assembly