‘Slumdog Millionaire’ wins 20 more awardsDecember 18th, 2008 - 11:20 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 18 (IANS) British director Danny Boyle’s “Slumdog Millionaire” has picked up 20 more awards this week, including those for Indian music director A.R. Rahman, British Indian actor Dev Patel and child artiste Ayush Mahesh Khedekar.The uplifting underdog tale, a Fox Searchlight release, won six awards - Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, and Best Score (Rahman) - from the San Diego Film Critics Society.
Shot in Mumbai, the film tells the heart warming story of an 18-year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai who goes on to win a staggering Rs.20 million ($420,000) on India’s “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?” game show.
It won six other awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Editing, Breakout on Camera (Dev), and Best Performance by a Youth - Male (Ayush) from the Phoenix Film Critics Society.
Dev plays the protagonist Jamal as a teenager, while Ayush plays Jamal in his childhood.
The film, which has been named in Time magazine’s list of Top Ten Films of 2008, won Best Picture and Best Director awards from the Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association as well as Best Director and Best Screenplay from the Houston Film Critics Society.
The St. Louis Film Critics Association gave it the Best Director and Best Foreign Language Film awards, while the Southeastern Film Critics Association chose it for Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay.
It has also earned six nominations for the Chicago Film Critics Awards, including Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Score, and Most Promising Performer (Dev).
- 'Inception' and 'The Social Network' dominate Critics Choice Awards - Jan 15, 2011
- 'Slumdog' gets Best Picture nomination from US guild - Jan 06, 2009
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' music wins A.R. Rahman Satellite Award - Dec 17, 2008
- Rahman wins Best Original Song Award in Los Angles - Jan 15, 2011
- Zoya Akhtar's 'Zindagi Na..' sweeps IIFA technical awards - Jun 09, 2012
- 'The Artist' wins top honours at BAFTA (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- With eight Oscars, 'Slumdog Millionaire' sweeps Academy awards - Feb 23, 2009
- 'The King's Speech' sweeps BAFTA, Rahman loses (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- 'The Artist', 'Hugo' in tie with five Oscars each (Roundup) - Feb 27, 2012
- 'Slumdog' saga continues with more Oscar nominations - Jan 08, 2009
- "The King's Speech" leads Oscar nominations - Jan 25, 2011
- 'Hugo' leads Oscar nominations, 'The Artist' 2nd - Jan 24, 2012
- 'The King's Speech' reigns at 83rd Academy Awards - Feb 28, 2011
- 'The King's Speech' big winner of Oscar evening - Feb 28, 2011
- 'The Artist' gets 12 nods, leads BAFTA nominations - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: chicago film critics, chicago film critics awards, director danny boyle, film critics awards, fox searchlight release, millionaire game show, san diego film critics, southeastern film critics, southeastern film critics association, who wants to be a millionaire game