Sleep with gun under your pillow: Israeli diplomats toldFebruary 15th, 2012 - 12:52 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, Feb 15 (IANS) The terror attack in India, a botched attempt in Georgia and three blasts in Thailand have prompted Israeli diplomats across the world to be extra vigilant, and a former security official advised them to “sleep with a gun” under their pillow.
Being alert is the first order of business, said former Shin Bet official Nimrod Firstenberg. Shin Bet is Israel’s internal security agency.
Firstenberg, who has been on the security teams of various embassies, gave a blunt warning: “You sleep with a gun and a flashlight under your pillow.”
Israeli diplomats abroad are in a state of emergency, and even the kids are warned to stay alert, reported ynetnews.com.
An Israeli embassy car carrying the wife of a defence attache was targeted in a terror attack in New Delhi Monday while in Georgian capital Tbilisi, police defused a car bombing device attached to a vehicle belonging to a Georgian national working for the Israeli embassy. A day later, three blasts rocked Bangkok Tuesday and an Iranian was injured.
Veteran Israeli diplomat Eli Shaked suggested keeping a low profile.
“It affects everyone, from the children, who might not go to kindergarten or school…,” he was quoted as saying.
Israeli diplomats have been told not to travel in cars in the immediate future, the media report said.
Shaked said diplomats should try to break their routine in order to “confuse the enemy”.
“You do everything not to be where you’re supposed to be, in order to avoid the spot where (a terrorist) might be staking an ambush,” he added.
“Even the young kids realize that something is off, and must be instructed to pay attention to what’s going on without panic and without scaring them,” he said. “The goal is to lead a life as normal as possible in an abnormal environment.”
A foreign ministry official said that Monday’s attacks were a “concrete warning” that more attacks are on the way.
“Vigilance is crucial; vehicles and routes are double-checked and triple-checked.”
- Israeli diplomats world over use taxis after attacks - Feb 14, 2012
- Israeli security asks woman reporter to take off bra to meet Prime Minister - Jan 14, 2011
- Israeli embassy car targetted in Delhi, four injured in blast (Roundup) - Feb 13, 2012
- Thank God! My kids were not with me, says Israeli victim (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- UN condemns attack on Israeli embassy staffer - Feb 24, 2012
- Iran behind attack on Israeli missions: Netanyahu - Feb 13, 2012
- Attack foiled at Israeli embassy in Georgia - Feb 13, 2012
- Israel embassy security beefed up - Feb 15, 2012
- Diplomat attack: Iran refutes Israel's charge - May 31, 2012
- Iran behind attack on Israeli missions: Netanyahu (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Israeli diplomat attack: Indian arrested - Mar 07, 2012
- Blast in Israel embassy car injures four, Iran blamed (Intro Roundup) - Feb 13, 2012
- India to provide extra security for Israeli mission - Feb 15, 2012
- Israeli team to reach Delhi to discuss attack - Feb 15, 2012
- Injured Israeli woman stable - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: car bombing, defence attache, diplomats, foreign ministry, georgian capital, immediate future, internal security, israeli diplomat, israeli embassy, ministry official, order of business, security agency, security official, security teams, shaked, shin bet, state of emergency, terror attack, vigilance, young kids