SLC to appoint security official for cricket teamMarch 18th, 2009 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
By P. Karunakharan
Colombo, March 18 (IANS) The Sri Lankan cricket board would soon appoint a security officer, who will be incharge of the team’s safety at home and abroad.
Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC)’s decision to appoint a security personnel comes after the national team was attacked by gunmen in Lahore earlier this month.
D.S. De Silva, newly-appointed chairman of SLC’s interim administration, told reporters here Wednesday that the board was looking to “appoint a permanent security personnel” to oversee the security arrangement at home and abroad.
“A couple of days back we had a discussion with national team captain Kumar Sangakkara and vice-captain Muttiah Muralitharan on the security arrangements for the team especially when they undertake overseas tours. They also gave us some inputs on what we should be doing in this regard,” De Silva said.
Seven Sri Lankan cricketers and the assistant coach were injured and six Pakistani police officials providing protection to the team bus were killed in the Lahore attack that shook the entire cricketing world.
- Sri Lanka refuse to tour Pakistan - May 24, 2011
- Dilshan named Sri Lanka captain for England tour - Apr 18, 2011
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against Australia - Mar 05, 2011
- Zimbabwe opt to bowl against Sri Lanka - Mar 10, 2011
- We have to try and enjoy every game, says Sangakkara - Feb 19, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricket officials rush to meet BCCI - Jun 21, 2011
- Sri Lanka interim cricket board dissolved - Jul 01, 2011
- Indian, Sri Lankan cricket boards hopeful of finding a solution - Apr 21, 2011
- Sri Lanka to sack Dilshan, Marsh for South African debacle - Jan 19, 2012
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against New Zealand - Mar 18, 2011
- Galle pitch not dangerous, says Sri Lanka cricket chief - Sep 07, 2011
- New Zealand to bat against Sri Lanka - Mar 29, 2011
- Former Sri Lankan cricketer slams premier league critics - Aug 31, 2012
- Sachin, Yuvraj, Zaheer selected in Team of the Tournament - Apr 03, 2011
- Lankan cricket board meeting today in wake of match fixing allegations - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: assistant coach, cricket board, cricket team, de silva, interim administration, kumar sangakkara, muttiah muralitharan, pakistani police, police officials, safety at home, security arrangement, security arrangements, security officer, security official, security personnel, sri lanka cricket, sri lankan cricket, sri lankan cricketers, team bus, vice captain