Sixty-four percent Americans oppose building of mosque near ground zero in ManhattanAugust 14th, 2010 - 2:48 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Aug 14 (ANI): A majority of 64 percent Americans believe that it would be wrong to build a mosque and Islamic center near ground zero in Manhattan, though 61 percent feel that the group has the legal right to build, according to a new Fox News poll.
Over thirty-four percent of the voters expressed their disagreement saying it was inappropriate to build a mosque and Islamic cultural center a few blocks from the site of the September 11 terrorist attacks in New York City, while 30 percent called the decision appropriate.
Among those who think it was wrong for the group to build an Islamic center near ground zero, views split sharply over whether they have a right to build it there: 47 percent have said ‘yes’ they do, while 48 percent disagreed.
Seventy percent of voters who attended religious services regularly thought it was wrong to put a mosque near ground zero, compared to 64 percent of those who rarely attend.
Men (33 percent) were more likely than women (28 percent) to think it was appropriate, and men (68 percent) were significantly more likely than women (55 percent) to think the group has the right to build the mosque.
The Fox News Poll involved telephone interviews with 900 randomly chosen registered voters and was conducted by Opinion Dynamics Corp. from August 10 - August 11. (ANI)
- New Yorkers say Ground Zero mosque inappropriate - Sep 24, 2010
- Six in ten Americans still think its wrong to build mosque near Ground Zero - Sep 18, 2010
- Most New Yorkers still opposed to proposed 'Ground Zero' mosque: Poll - Sep 25, 2010
- 71 percent New Yorkers oppose mosque near Ground Zero - Sep 01, 2010
- Three of four Americans say 9/11 mosque is inappropriate - Aug 26, 2010
- Two-thirds of New Yorkers want mosque moved away from Ground Zero: Poll - Sep 01, 2010
- US Muslims call for more protection amid mosque controversy - Sep 02, 2010
- Murdered Daniel Pearl's dad says 9/11 mosque should be built elsewhere - Aug 27, 2010
- America is on decline as civilization: Poll - Jul 31, 2010
- US right-wing group challenges decision over 9/11 Ground Zero mosque project - Aug 05, 2010
- Ground Zero mosque overshadows 9/11 anniversary - Sep 07, 2010
- Baby boomers unhappiest with their sex lives: Study - Nov 23, 2010
- 7 in 10 New Yorkers want proposed mosque away from Ground Zero: Poll - Sep 03, 2010
- 'Terrorist-sympathizing imam' behind Ground Zero Mosque: Lazio - Aug 22, 2010
- Obama, Romney locked in close race: polls - Aug 25, 2012
Tags: august 10, august 11, disagreement, fox news, ground zero, islamic center, islamic cultural center, manhattan, mosque, new fox, new york city, news poll, opinion dynamics corp, registered voters, religious services, september 11 terrorist attacks