Sixteen killed in German school shooting spree (Second Lead)March 11th, 2009 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, March 11 (DPA) Sixteen people were killed Wednesday when a former pupil went on a shooting spree at a German school before he was shot dead in an exchange of fire with the police.
The 17-year-old gunman reportedly shot dead nine students and three teachers at the school in southern town of Winnenden, near Stuttgart, in one of the worst incidents of its kind in Germany.
The police said an employee at a nearby psychiatric clinic was killed by the youth when he fled the scene. He later killed two other people before he was shot dead by the police who cornered him at a supermarket in Wendlingen, 40 km away. Two policemen were injured in the shootout.
The gunman, who was wearing a black combat uniform, was apparently armed with a sub-machine gun when he walked into the Albertville secondary school at 9.45 a.m. (0845).
Witnesses said he went into three classrooms and opened fire indiscriminately without saying a word. The motive for the crime was not immediately clear. The youth was a pupil at the school until 2007.
“The attacker just started shooting wildly,” the television news channel n-tv quoted a witness as saying.
The gunman was believed to be the son of a local businessman who possessed a weapons licence and owned more than a dozen guns. The police searched the family home were the youth lived with his parents.
The police earlier sealed off the school and the town centre of Winnenden, 25 km north-east of Stuttgart. Some 1,000 pupils were in the school at the time of the attack.
The German shooting comes hours after at least 11 people were killed in a similar shooting spree in the US state of Alabama, on Tuesday.
German President Horst Koehler sent his condolences after Wednesday’s shooting.
- Merkel expresses shock on death of 16 in German school shooting - Mar 12, 2009
- Ten killed in German school shooting (Lead) - Mar 11, 2009
- Gunman kills two in German school - Mar 11, 2009
- Four die in shooting outside school in France (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Eight killed, one injured in Ohio shooting spree - Aug 08, 2011
- German school gunman had announced plans in advance - Mar 12, 2009
- Shooting in Germany School Takes 11 Lives - Mar 12, 2009
- Five killed in US spa shooting - Feb 22, 2012
- Brazil school kids ran as gunman opened fire, shows CCTV - Apr 08, 2011
- Three killed in French school shooting (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Toulouse killer's father to sue France for son's death - Mar 27, 2012
- Elderly man kills 2 doctors before killing self in southwestern Germany - Mar 07, 2012
- Bizarre Shooting Incident At Gardena High School - Jan 19, 2011
- France observes minute of silence for shooting victims - Mar 20, 2012
- New York gunman kills one, injures 10; shot dead (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: albertville, attacker, businessman, condolences, german president, german school shooting, gunman, horst koehler, machine gun, march 11, motive, policemen, psychiatric clinic, pupil, pupils, secondary school, shooting spree, state of alabama, supermarket, television news