Six security personnel killed in Jharkhand (Lead)January 17th, 2009 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Jan 17 (IANS) Six security personnel were killed in a landmine blast by Maoist rebels while seven guerrillas were arrested in a separate incident in Jharkhand Saturday, a police officer said.The landmine was detonated Saturday afternoon by Maoist rebels between Manika and Patki on the national highway in Latehar district, about 140 km from here.
“Six security personnel who were on long range patrolling were killed in a landmine blast by Maoists. The killed security personnel include the officer in charge of Manika police station Kamal Chandra,” spokesperson of Jharkhand police S.N. Pradhan told IANS.
Five of the victims died at the spot, and the sixth on way to hospital, he added.
In another incident, seven Maoist rebels belonging to the CPI-Maoist were arrested in Bokaro district.
According to police, the arrested Maoist rebels were planning to blow up a railway station in Bokaro district. Seven bombs and 20 detonators were seized from the arrested rebels.
Maoist rebels are active in 18 of the 24 districts of Jharkhand. In the last seven years, nearly 1,400 people including 744 civilians and 320 security personnel have been killed in Maoist-related violence.
- Five security men killed in Jharkhand - Jan 17, 2009
- Attack meant to reassert Maoist presence in Jharkhand: police - May 04, 2011
- Seven Maoists arrested, landmine recovered - Mar 03, 2012
- Jharkhand sees 55 percent polling, Maoists kill two (Third Lead) - Dec 18, 2009
- 13 Jharkhand policemen killed in Maoist ambush - Jan 21, 2012
- Jharkhand sees 30 percent polling, Maoists kill one (Second Lead) - Dec 18, 2009
- Maoist leader arrested in Jharkhand with landmines - Sep 13, 2009
- Nine killed as Maoists attack securitymen on poll duty in Jharkhand (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists shot policemen in head, burnt two - Jan 22, 2012
- Maoists abduct five Jharkhand officials, free all (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
- Maoists may undertake major offensive in Jharkhand: Police - Feb 12, 2012
- Landmine blast as round 5 of Jharkhand polls begin (Lead) - Dec 18, 2009
- Violence, 58 percent ballot mark Jharkhand poll (Fourth Lead) - Dec 18, 2009
- Five cops killed in Jharkhand landmine blast - Jul 16, 2010
- Three CRPF personnel injured in landmine blast - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: chandra, civilians, CPI, detonators, guerrillas, kamal, landmine blast, manika, maoist, maoist rebels, maoists, patki, patrolling, police officer, police station, railway station, saturday afternoon, security personnel, seven years, spokesperson