Six Russian athletes suspended for drug abuseAugust 1st, 2008 - 3:46 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 1 (Xinhua) The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has suspended six Russian women from the Beijing Olympic Games after they were suspected of drug usage, a senior official said. “All six are suspended and will miss the Beijing Olympics,” said Russia’s athletics chief Valentin Balakhnichev.
The suspended six are twice world 1,500m champion Tatiana Tomashova, world indoor 1,500m champion Yelena Soboleva, distance runners Yulia Fomenko and Svetlana Cherkasova, European discus champion Daria Pishchalnikova and former hammer world record holder Gulfia Khanafeyeva.
The six were suspended after discovering DNA convergence in their samples given for dope testing last year.
“We received a letter from IAAF, which said that six of our athletes were temporarily suspended,” Balakhnichev said.
“The reason for the suspension was the convergence of DNA in the samples that were given by the athletes for dope testing last year,” he added.
Balakhnichev said that five of the suspended were included in Russia’s Beijing-bound Olympic squad and were medal favourites at the Games.
Soboleva had the season’s best in 800m and 1,500m, Pishchalnikova was leading the discus throw this season, Khanafeyeva produced this season’s fifth best result in hammer throw, while Tomashova and Fomenko had the season’s second and seventh 1500m results.
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- Russia bans three runners for sample tampering - Jul 03, 2012
- Coe, Bubka to be inducted into IAAF Hall of Fame - Jun 25, 2012
- US eye 30 athletics medals at London Olympics - Jun 27, 2012
- Cuba expecting better show at London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- Kemboi shifts base to Bristol to avoid public scrutiny - Jul 14, 2012
- Up to four-year ban for illegal betting: IAAF - May 08, 2012
- Uganda athletes undergo doping test ahead of Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- Kenya eyes seven golds at London Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- Britain's taekwondo athlete Stevenson takes Olympic oath - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic champion Bolt starts season with home event - Apr 18, 2012
- Indian runners Mandeep and Murmu suspended after failed dope test - Jun 29, 2011
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Bolt, Pearson named IAAF athletes of the year - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: 500m, 800m, beijing olympics, convergence, daria, discus, drug abuse, fomenko, hammer throw, iaaf, international association of athletics federations, olympic games, olympic squad, runners, russian athletes, russian women, svetlana cherkasova, valentin, world record holder, xinhua