Six prisoners shot dead in Sri Lanka (Lead)April 15th, 2009 - 4:50 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, April 15 (IANS) Six prisoners mainly linked to the underworld were shot dead by guards when they attempted to escape from a jail in Sri Lanka early Wednesday, an official here said.
Eleven prisoners at the Kalutara prison, about 45 km south of here, tried to escape from their cells around at 3 a.m. after cutting the iron bars.
“The prison officers fired at the escaping inmates, killing six and wounding four. One prisoner returned to his cell,” Major General Vajira Wijegunawardena, Sri Lanka’s prisons chief, told IANS.
Wijegunawardena said all who tried to escape were classified “special prisoners”. Each of them had at least four or five major criminal cases against them.
“Some had been convicted and were facing more criminal cases. Most of them were members of underworld criminal gangs, facing charges of killing, robbery and related crimes,” Wijegunawardena said.
He said it was “unfortunate” that prisoners had tried to escape during the Sinhala and Tamil New Year festive season, thinking that the security arrangements would be lax during those days.
- Six prisoners shot dead in Sri Lanka - Apr 15, 2009
- Tamil prisoners on hunger strike in Sri Lanka - May 21, 2012
- Mexico plans to build eight prisons - Feb 23, 2012
- 'Egyptian prison guards killed inmates during uprising leading to Mubarak's resignation' - Feb 19, 2011
- Murder accused flees Haryana jail, nabbed in Delhi - May 09, 2012
- Jailor shot at, escapes unhurt - Jul 27, 2012
- Prison guards taken hostage in Sri Lanka - Jun 29, 2012
- 15,000 people in Sri Lankan jails over unpaid fines - Aug 15, 2012
- 350 dead in Honduras prison fire (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Chinese police to be punishmed for prisoners' abuse - May 31, 2012
- Sri Lanka lowers blast toll to 25 (Roundup) - Sep 17, 2010
- Taliban attack Pakistani jail, nearly 400 escape - Apr 15, 2012
- 272 dead in Honduras prison fire - Feb 15, 2012
- Escaped criminal recaptured in Rajasthan - Aug 22, 2012
- 10 prisoners escape from Rajasthan jail - Aug 20, 2012