Six policemen among 12 killed in Afghan clashesMay 17th, 2009 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, May 17 (Xinhua) Six Afghan police personnel and six Taliban militants have been killed in two separate clashes in southern Afghanistan, officials said Sunday.
In one incident, Taliban fighters Sunday raided a police check post in southern Helmand province, killing six police personnel.
“The rebels stormed into a police checkpoint in Gereshk district at 7.00 a.m. Sunday, killing six police personnel,” Governor Abdul Ahad Khan said. The check post was destroyed.
He added that the police also killed Taliban fighters in the gunfight but did not give any figure.
Meanwhile confirming the incident to the media, Taliban spokesman Qari Yusuf Ahmadi said seven policemen were killed in the attack and one Taliban fighter was injured.
In a separate incident, the Afghan and international troops killed six militants Saturday in the Uruzgan Province in southern Afghanistan, the interior ministry said in a statement Sunday.
“Six armed rebels, including a foreign fighter, were killed in a joint operation of the Afghan Army, the police and the US-led Coalition forces in Deh Rawod district,” the statement said.
Two AK-47 assault rifles and a pistol were seized from the militants after the operation that lasted for six hours, the statement added.
Media reports said Afghan security forces are preparing for a major operation against the militants in Helmand, Kandahar and Zabul provinces, ahead of the presidential election Aug 20.
Taliban militants, whose regime was toppled in a US-led invasion in 2001, have vowed to intensify their attacks against the Afghan and international troops in the war-torn country.
- Eight Taliban killed, 13 held in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- Afghan, NATO soldiers among 24 killed in Afghanistan - May 09, 2010
- 13 insurgents killed in Afghanistan - Aug 04, 2011
- Seven Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Jan 09, 2012
- 10 Afghans, 80 Taliban killed as Petraeus takes command (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2010
- 18 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Aug 13, 2011
- 13 insurgents killed, 8 held in Afghanistan - Dec 10, 2011
- Afghan, NATO forces kill 80 Taliban fighters (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- 50 Taliban killed in NATO drone strike - Aug 18, 2012
- Afghan police kill 17 Taliban militants - Jul 31, 2012
- Seven Taliban killed, 18 held in Afghanistan - Feb 12, 2012
- 30 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Jun 02, 2012
- Afghan police kill 15 militants, detain 11 - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: abdul ahad, ahad khan, ahmadi, ak 47, assault rifles, clashes, coalition forces, gunfight, interior ministry, international troops, kandahar, militants, police check, police checkpoint, policemen, security forces, six hours, southern afghanistan, xinhua, zabul