Six NATO troops killed in AfghanistanDecember 12th, 2010 - 6:30 pm ICT by ANI
Kabul, Dec 12 (ANI): Six NATO service members have reportedly been killed in an insurgent attack in southern Afghanistan, the international alliance said in a statement.
According to The New York Times, today’s attack was the second incident in two weeks.
On November 29, an Afghan policeman attacked his American trainers in the eastern part of the country, killing six of them before he was gunned down. The Taliban claimed that they had sent him to join the police as a sleeper agent.
On November 14, five U.S. soldiers were killed in a insurgent attack on their unit in eastern Afghanistan, the paper said.
Most NATO troops in southern Afghanistan come from the United States, but there are contingents from several nations in the area.
The combat operations between the NATO forces and insurgents have increased in southern Afghanistan as a surge of U.S. troops have poured into Helmand and Kandahar provinces this year with an intention to push the Taliban out of their traditional strongholds.
Over 670 international troops have been killed so far this year, well above the 502 killed in the whole of 2009. (ANI)
- 10 militants killed in Afghanistan - Aug 18, 2010
- Six NATO troops die in Afghan attack - Dec 12, 2010
- British, Estonian troops killed in southern Afghanistan - Oct 16, 2011
- 14 killed in Afghan clashes - Aug 22, 2010
- Five NATO soldiers die in Afghan attacks - Jan 13, 2011
- 31 killed in Afghan clash - Jun 14, 2010
- Six NATO soldiers killed in Afghan attacks - Jul 10, 2010
- Roadside bomb kills 14 civilians in Helmand - Dec 31, 2010
- 33 insurgents killed in Afghanistan - Aug 26, 2012
- Afghan district governor among 21 killed in attacks (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- NATO helicopter crashes in southern Afghanistan, killing 11 - Aug 17, 2012
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan blast - Sep 09, 2012
- NATO soldier killed in Taliban attack - Apr 28, 2012
- Two US soldiers killed by Afghan cop - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: afghanistan kabul, combat operations, eastern afghanistan, helmand, insurgents, intention, international alliance, international troops, kandahar, nato, nato forces, nato troops, new york times, november 14, policeman, service members, sleeper agent, southern afghanistan, strongholds, taliban