Six militants killed near Afghan capitalDecember 23rd, 2008 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Dec 23 (Xinhua) Six Taliban militants have been killed and three others detained in an operation carried out by the coalition forces near the Afghan capital, officials said Tuesday.The operation was carried out in Surobi district of Kabul province Monday, a coalition forces statement said. The attack was carried out on a hideout of a Taliban militant who was involved in the anti-government activities in Kabul, Laghman and Kapisa provinces.
After the US-led coalition forces entered the militants’ compound for a search operation, a gun-battle broke out, in which six militants were killed, the statement said.
Security forces have also destroyed a stockpile of AK-47s and other military equipments at the site, it added.
Earlier this year, Taliban militants have killed at least 10 French soldiers near the Kabul city, mounting pressure on the Afghan government to act decisively against the insurgents.
More than 5,000 people have been killed in insurgency related violence in Afghanistan this year.
- 40 Taliban militants killed - Aug 12, 2012
- Afghan police kill 15 militants, detain 11 - Aug 23, 2012
- Eight Taliban killed, 13 held in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- 42 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Jun 17, 2012
- 42 Taliban killed, 37 held in Afghanistan - Dec 04, 2011
- 61 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jul 04, 2012
- 45 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jun 10, 2012
- 27 militants killed in Afghanistan - Nov 17, 2011
- 21 militants killed, 19 held in Afghanistan - Oct 15, 2011
- 13 insurgents killed, 8 held in Afghanistan - Dec 10, 2011
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- 15 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Dec 31, 2011
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Taliban commander among 30 rebels killed in Afghanistan - Sep 25, 2010
- 100 militants killed in Afghan operation - Jul 23, 2011