Six killed in twin suicide bombings in AfghanistanJune 22nd, 2009 - 5:49 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, June 22 (Xinhua) Twin suicide bombings Monday rocked Khost province in east Afghanistan, leaving six people dead and six injured, a police official said.
“Two people strapped explosive devices on their bodies. One riding a motorbike and the other walking on foot blew themselves up next to the department of electricity directorate in Khost city. Six people were killed on the spot,” said police official Abdul Wali Tofan.
Six civilians were wounded in the blasts, he said.
Tofan said the suicide bombers were going to target government buildings, including governor office and police department. But they could not reach there.
No group or individuals have claimed responsibility for the double bombings.
Early in the morning an explosion close to a military base outside Nangarhar’s provincial capital Jalalabad in east Afghanistan left at least two people dead and 20 others wounded, mostly civilians.
Taliban fighters have vowed to intensify activities this year in Afghanistan.
- 10 die in Afghanistan airport suicide blast - Feb 27, 2012
- Six die in Afghan suicide bombing - May 19, 2012
- Suicide car bombing kills 14 in Afghanistan (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- 10 dead, 12 wounded in Afghan airport bombing (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- 18 killed in Afghan suicide bombing - Jun 20, 2012
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- 13 killed in two suicide bombings in Afghanistan - May 18, 2011
- Four killed, 31 hurt in Afghan car bombing (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills nine in Afghanistan - Feb 18, 2011
- Afghan provincial governor succumbs to suicide blast injuries - May 29, 2011
- 12 civilians killed in Afghanistan blasts - Mar 21, 2010
- 10 killed after suicide bombers storm police station in southeastern Afghanistan - May 22, 2011
- Five killed in blast at Wali Karzai memorial service - Jul 14, 2011
- 22 killed in Afghan suicide bombing - Jun 06, 2012
- Blasts rock Kabul, Taliban target US embassy - Sep 13, 2011
Tags: afghanistan kabul, blasts, civilians, explosion, explosive devices, government buildings, governor office, jalalabad, khost, military base, motorbike, nangarhar, police department, police official, provincial capital, suicide bombers, suicide bombings, taliban, taliban fighters, xinhua