Six killed in Kandahar bomb attackNovember 12th, 2008 - 11:02 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Nov 12 (DPA) Six civilians were killed when a bomb-filled fuel tanker exploded close to the building where the brother of President Hamid Karzai was attending a meeting in the southern province of Kandahar Wednesday, according to government sources.The bomb injured 43 people, but Ahmed Wali Karzai escaped uninjured when the tanker exploded near the place where he was attending a meeting at the office of the provincial council, the BBC reported.
Ahmed Karzai blamed the “cowardly act” on the Taliban.
Only hours earlier in Kandahar, two men on a motorbike threw acid on six Afghan girls and their teacher walking to school, hospitalizing three of the girls with serious burns, government officials said.
ISAF Commander David McKiernan said the attackers were not only “cowards, but liars”. Those who attack innocent women and children, cannot fight for humans, said the general.
President Karzai, attending a UN conference in New York, condemned the suicide bombing and the acid attack as “ruthless act by the enemies of peace and prosperity”.
No group has claimed responsibility for the two attacks in Kandahar, the birthplace of the radical Islamic Taliban.
- Kandahar deputy governor killed in suicide bombing - Jan 30, 2011
- Pakistan condemns killing of Karzai's half-brother - Jul 12, 2011
- Thousands attend funeral of Karzai's half-brother - Jul 13, 2011
- Afghan president's half-brother killed by bodyguard (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Five killed in blast at Wali Karzai memorial service - Jul 14, 2011
- Afghan President Hamid Karzai's aide shot dead in attack - Jul 18, 2011
- PM shocked at Ahmed Karzai's assassination - Jul 12, 2011
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011
- Karzai's assassin showed him a file and then shot him dead - Jul 13, 2011
- US condemns assassination of Afghan President's brother - Jul 13, 2011
- Six NATO soldiers killed in Afghan attacks - Jul 10, 2010
- US convinced 'Kandahar strongman' Karzai's half-brother is corrupt: WikiLeaks cable - Dec 03, 2010
- Twin attacks kill 10 in Afghanistan (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Afghan Girl's School Suffers Suspected Poison Attack - Apr 27, 2010
- Kabul terror attack ends, all Taliban guerrillas killed - Sep 14, 2011