Six killed in California family shootingMarch 30th, 2009 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, March 30 (DPA) Six people, including three children, were killed in a family shooting at an upscale housing development in the heart of California’s Silicon Valley, police said Monday.
The suspected gunman was believed to be among the dead inside the modern home, said Santa Clara police Lieutenant Phil Cooke.
“We do believe this appears to be a family-on-family murder-suicide,” Cooke said in a televised news conference.
The murder-suicide occurred late Sunday night at the Rivermark townhome development in Santa Clara, about 65 km south of San Francisco.
Police discovered five bodies, including a young boy and girl, when neighbours called them to the house at around 8:30 p.m. after seeing an injured woman outside. The woman and young girl were still alive when the police arrived, but the toddler died overnight. The woman remained in critical condition Monday.
Police said they believed that all the dead were members of one family, but that they were still investigating a motive.
Santa Clara, a relatively wealthy city of just over 100,000 has traditionally been immune to extreme violence. But the recession that has hit California and the tech industry harder than the rest of the country may be taking its toll.
In November, an engineer who was fired from his job returned to the firm and shot and killed three colleagues at SiPort, a startup that makes wireless chips.
“When things get tough in life, in the world, it seems that these kinds of incidents erupt,” said Santa Clara Mayor Patricia Mahan. “I would just urge all of our community to pay attention to your neighbours.”
- Five found shot to death at San Francisco home - Mar 24, 2012
- Five Chinese found dead in US house - Mar 24, 2012
- Financial stress unlikely behind shooting of six Indians in US (Third lead) - Mar 31, 2009
- Indian family murder-suicide in US: Family problems suspected - Apr 01, 2009
- Six members of NRI family killed, father rushes to US [Fourth Lead] - Mar 31, 2009
- Devan Kalathat kills five family members and himself - Apr 01, 2009
- Six dead in US murder-suicide, Indian passport found - Mar 31, 2009
- Indian American shot dead in Silicon Valley (Lead) - Nov 16, 2008
- Seven gunned down at family X-mas party - Dec 26, 2011
- Indian American CEO shot dead in Silicon Valley - Nov 15, 2008
- Man takes deadly leap from roof to stage at concert - Aug 22, 2010
- Seven family members commit suicide in Mexico - Jan 13, 2012
- Frenchman Hugues De La Plaza's Death Declared As Homicide - Nov 15, 2009
- 9-year-old boy from California becomes youngest ever US chess master - Dec 23, 2010
- Indian-American woman murdered in California motel - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: california family, critical condition, extreme violence, heart of california, housing development, murder suicide, neighbours, news conference, patricia mahan, phil cooke, police lieutenant, recession, san francisco police, santa clara police, silicon valley, suspected gunman, townhome development, valley police, wireless chips, young girl