Six killed as Yemen police fire on anti- government protestersMarch 13th, 2011 - 4:19 pm ICT by ANI
Sanaa, Mar.13 (ANI): Police forces in Yemen have killed atleast six people, including a 15 year old student and injured many more, after they attacked anti- government protesters in the capital city Sanaa.
In the port city of Mukalla in the Hadramout province, a 15-year-old student was shot dead when security troops opened fire on protesters.
People in Yemen have been protesting against President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who has been in power for 32 years and demanding a more democratic set up.
Saturday’s raid on the Sanaa Square came after Yemen’s largest demonstrations in a month Friday were met by police gunfire that injured at least six protesters.
The violence began with an early morning raid on a central square in the capital Sanaa, where thousands of pro-democracy protesters had been camping.
Eyewitnesses said, security troops surrounded the square with police cars and armed personnel carriers shortly after midnight told the people to go home. At about 5am, the security forces stormed in, firing live and ammunition tear gas, News.com.au reports.
An activist said: ” We were performing dawn prayers when we were surprised by a sudden hail of bullets and tear gas. The protesters began throwing rocks at security. It was total mayhem, a real battlefield.”
Abdelwahed al-Juneid, a volunteer doctor working with the protesters, said around 250 people had been wounded in the attack.
A hospital official said all the dead had been shot in the head. (ANI)
- Hundreds of anti-Saleh protesters injured in Sana'a - Apr 10, 2011
- Protests rattle major cities across Yemen - Apr 14, 2011
- Police kill six in Yemen anti-government protests - Mar 12, 2011
- Four killed in al-Qaeda ambush in south Yemen - Mar 11, 2011
- 19 killed, hundreds injured in clashes across Yemen - May 12, 2011
- 16 protesters killed in Yemen (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- 400 demonstrators injured in Yemen clashes - Apr 05, 2011
- Yemen reinforces security as toll rises to 51 - Mar 20, 2011
- 11 protesters killed by security forces in Yemen - Apr 05, 2011
- About 200 protesters injured in south Yemen - Apr 03, 2011
- Two students dead in Yemen as protests continue - Feb 23, 2011
- Yemen beefs up security to enforce emergency rule (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- Emergency declared in Yemen, 41 killed in police firing (Third Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- At least eight civilians killed, dozens injured in Yemen's Taiz province - Oct 06, 2011
- Yemen protesters hit government buildings - Feb 19, 2011
Tags: ali abdullah saleh, ammunition, central square, eyewitnesses, gas news, hadramout province, hail of bullets, mukalla, news com au, personnel carriers, police cars, police fire, police forces, police gunfire, president ali abdullah saleh, protesters, security forces, security troops, tear gas, throwing rocks