Six killed as trains collide in Poland (Lead)March 4th, 2012 - 4:32 pm ICT by IANS
Warsaw, March 4 (IANS) At least six people were killed and nearly 50 injured in southern Poland after two trains had a head-on collision Saturday, said local officials.
According to polish TV, the accident occurred in the evening on the Warsaw-Krakow mainline in Szczekociny, a small town, the BBC reported Sunday.
Two express trains, one of which was on the wrong track, collided head-on, said a senior railway official.
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk was on his way to the site of the crash, along with three other cabinet ministers.
“This appears to be one of the most serious railway accidents in recent years,” Transport Minister Slawomir Nowak told the TVN24 news channel.
“There are fatalities, there are many injured people,” he said, as he travelled to the scene with Prime Minister Tusk.
According to police, some of the passengers remain trapped in the wreckage. Helicopter ambulances from Warsaw and Wroclaw were helping to take the injured to hospitals.
The accident occurred at 9.15 p.m., when a train travelling north from Przemysl to Warsaw collided with a southbound train from Warsaw to Krakow
- Six killed in Poland train collision - Mar 04, 2012
- 14 killed in Poland train collision (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Ready for Euro 2012: Polish PM - Mar 23, 2012
- Stay off during Euro 2012, Polish PM tells protesters - May 19, 2012
- 11 killed in road accident in Bengal - Mar 17, 2012
- Handbook ready for football fans ahead of Euro 2012 - May 22, 2012
- Nine killed in Poland bus-train collision - Jul 31, 2012
- One dead in Bengal train collision, Railways announce compensation (Lead) - Jan 08, 2012
- Five killed in China road accident - Aug 29, 2012
- Rowdy Russian fans head for Warsaw - Jun 15, 2012
- 12 die in Argentina vehicle collision - Apr 18, 2011
- 18 killed in Belgium train collision (Fourth lead) - Feb 15, 2010
- Euro 2012: Irish fans fill stadiums in Poland - Jun 12, 2012
- Family of 12 killed in van-truck crash in China (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Poland to have new government in November - Oct 14, 2011
Tags: ambulances, bbc, cabinet ministers, donald tusk, express trains, head on collision, helicopter, mainline, nowak, przemysl, railway accidents, railway official, southbound train, southern poland, train travelling north, transport minister, two trains, warsaw, wreckage, wroclaw