Six killed as Ethiopian troops fire on minibus in SomaliaAugust 14th, 2008 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
Mogadishu (Somalia), Aug 14 (DPA) Six civilians were killed and four wounded when Ethiopian troops opened fired on a minibus just south of this Somali capital, witnesses said Thursday. They said the troops “opened fire indiscriminately”, shortly after a gun battle between Islamic insurgents and Ethiopian soldiers protecting a convoy.
Yusuf Haji, a resident in the town of Walaweyn, told DPA that the minibus was attacked late Wednesday evening as it passed through an area near the scene of an earlier gunfight.
Militants have been waging a guerrilla war since Ethiopian troops helped the government oust the Union of Islamic Courts (UIC) in late 2006.
The interim government has been unable to achieve stability in the Horn of Africa country, which has been plagued by chaos and civil war since dictator Mohamed Siad Barre was toppled in 1991.
Aid organizations estimate that around 6,000 civilians have died and hundreds of thousands have fled Mogadishu in the last year of fighting.
A peace deal was agreed between moderate Islamists and the government in early June, but al-Shabaab, the armed wing of the UIC, has not signed the agreement.
Officials from both the government and opposition are due to meet this weekend in neighbouring Djibouti in an attempt to bring peace closer.
However, al-Shabaab has vowed to keep fighting until Ethiopian troops leave Somalia and few observers expect that the peace deal will bring about a reduction in violence.
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- 10 politicians among 42 dead in Somalia clashes (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- 23 killed, dozens injured in Somalia fighting - Jun 03, 2010
- 20 dead in Mogadishu fighting - Jun 19, 2010
- 10 dead in suicide blast at Mogadishu airport - Sep 09, 2010
- Four peacekeepers killed in Somalia - Aug 30, 2010
- Somali insurgents vow revenge against US for Al Qaeda raid - Sep 15, 2009
- At least 32 dead, including MPs, after hotel attack in Somalia - Aug 25, 2010
- Somali insurgents ban UN mine agency - Dec 18, 2009
- 50 killed in clashes in Somalia - Jul 02, 2008
- Obama bans Somalia charcoal import - Jul 21, 2012
- Roadside bomb kills eight in Somalia - Sep 01, 2010
- 26 die after attack on Somali parliament - May 17, 2010
- Top UN official killed in Somalia: reports - Jul 07, 2008
Tags: aid organizations, dpa, ethiopian soldiers, ethiopian troops, guerrilla war, gun battle, horn of africa, horn of africa country, interim government, islamic courts, islamic insurgents, islamists, minibus, mogadishu somalia, mohamed siad barre, peace deal, siad barre, somali capital, uic, wednesday evening