Six dead in blast near Pak Army HQ in RawalpindiNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:05 am ICT by admin
It was a suicide attack made by a pedestrian, an Interior Ministry spokesman said.
Local television channels said ambulances were rushing to the area where the blast was heard.
The location of the blast was a police checkpoint.
A man had approached the checkpoint on foot and detonated his explosives, the BBC reported.
Two policemen and a cyclist were among those killed by the explosion, along with the suspected bomber, according to a foreign news agency.
The eleven injured in the blast have been shifted to the Combined Military Hospital (CMH) Rawalpindi, reports said.
Katchehry Chowk and adjacent Ayub Park area have been cordoned off while the security has been further tightened in twin cities of Rawalpindi and Islamabad.
Earlier, Railway Minister Shaikh Rashid Ahmed said three to four persons had been killed in the blast.
Rashid said that there were reports that up to three possible suicide attackers had managed to enter Rawalpindi and neighbouring Islamabad in recent days. (ANI)
- Twenty killed, forty injured in Mardan Cantonment suicide blast - Feb 10, 2011
- Four dead, 30 hurt in Pakistan blast (Lead) - Oct 12, 2009
- 76 die in Pakistan bombings - Sep 03, 2010
- Karachi blast kills one, injures 20 (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Four to ten killed in Hangu suicide attack - Mar 05, 2010
- Suicide bomber kills 20 at Shia trust-run hospital in Hangu - Dec 11, 2010
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- 7 dead, 11 injured in Rawalpindi suicide attack - Nov 14, 2007
- Teenage car-bomber killed in Pakistan - Oct 19, 2010
- 27 killed as `schoolboy' bomber attacks Pakistan Army centre (Third Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- At least 39 killed, 45 injured in Rawalpindi mosque suicide attack - Dec 04, 2009
- 38 people killed, over 62 injured in Bajaur Agency suicide attack - Dec 25, 2010
- 25 killed in Pakistan suicide blast (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- 15 killed in Pak crowded market suicide bomb attack - Dec 08, 2010
- Terror back in Rawalpindi, bomb blast near hotel kills 10, injures many - Nov 02, 2009
Tags: army headquarters, army hq, ayub, bbc, chowk, cmh, detonated, foreign news, interior ministry, islamabad, military hospital, ministry spokesman, pak army, police checkpoint, president pervez musharraf, railway minister, rawalpindi, security area, suicide attack, television channels