Six charged with terrorism offences in BritainSeptember 26th, 2011 - 6:25 am ICT by IANS
London, Sep 26 (IANS) Six people from Birmingham, the second largest city of Britain, were charged with terrorism offences Sunday evening following a counter-terrorism operation, Xinhua reported.
The four men had been charged with preparing for an act of terrorism, and two with failing to disclose information, a statement released by West Midlands Police said.
One of the men has additionally been charged with terrorist fund-raising, while the seventh will until Thursday to be charged, released or applied for further warrant of detention, the statement said.
The six charged will appear at West London Magistrates Court Monday afternoon.
Among the charged, Ashik Ali, 26, was accused of preparing for an act of terrorism, which involved planning a bombing campaign, providing premises for the planning of terrorist attack and stating an intention to be a suicide bomber.
The arrests were made during a major, pre-planned and intelligence-led operation carried out by the West Midlands counter terrorism unit.
- Five held in Britain on terror charges - Apr 24, 2012
- Seven arrested in anti-terrorism raid in Britain - Sep 19, 2011
- British police arrest twelve terror suspects - Dec 20, 2010
- Five held on terror charges in Britain (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Pakistanis held in Britain for plotting another 9/11 - Sep 27, 2011
- 12 arrested in major UK anti-terror swoop - Dec 20, 2010
- Four Britons charged with terrorism offences - Nov 19, 2011
- Four held in Britain on terrorism charges - Nov 15, 2011
- Seven more held in Britain for terror offences - Jul 06, 2012
- CCTV aimed at Birmingham's Muslim areas to be dismantled - Oct 26, 2010
- Counter-terrorism in UK tougher since last Royal wedding - Apr 17, 2011
- UK police arrest five terror suspects near London - Apr 24, 2012
- Leaflets found with threats against British PM, queen - Jul 07, 2012
- London terror plots: Six held, bus emptied on highway (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Plot to blow up UK Parliament unearthed - Dec 27, 2010
Tags: ali, britain london, counter terrorism unit, four men, intelligence, intention, london magistrates court, monday afternoon, premises, suicide bomber, sunday evening, terrorist attack, warrant, west london, west midlands police, xinhua