Six British soldiers feared killed in Afghanistan blastMarch 7th, 2012 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 7 (IANS) Six British soldiers were reported missing, believed killed, after their armoured vehicle was hit by an explosion in southern Afghanistan, the British Ministry of Defence (MOD) said Wednesday.
The soldiers, five from 3rd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment and one from 1st Battalion The Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment, were on a mounted patrol when their vehicle was struck by an explosion in Helmand province Tuesday, Xinhua reported.
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said: “I utterly condemn those responsible for this incident who will ultimately fail to derail a mission that is protecting our national security at home and making real progress in Helmand province.”
Britain is “on course” to end its combat operations in Afghanistan by the end of 2014, he said.
Further details were still being confirmed. It could be the biggest loss of British military personnel in a single assault in Afghanistan since 2001.
- Britain to axe 20,000 troops - Jul 06, 2012
- Two British soldiers killed in Afghanistan - Feb 02, 2010
- Two more British soldiers killed in Afghanistan - Feb 16, 2010
- Special forces winning battle against Taliban insurgents: US, UK commanders - Mar 16, 2011
- Rogue Afghan soldier kills two British troops in southern Afghanistan - Mar 26, 2012
- British soldier killed in Afghanistan blast - Nov 17, 2011
- Three British soldiers killed in Afghanistan - Aug 07, 2009
- British troops in Afghanistan to get new equipment - Dec 23, 2011
- 100th British soldier killed in southern Afghanistan - Jul 09, 2010
- British troop chops off dead Taliban's fingers as trophies - Aug 08, 2011
- Britain considers early withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan - Dec 10, 2011
- Four American troops die after attacks in eastern and southern Afghanistan - Aug 22, 2010
- Three British soldiers killed in Afghanistan - Aug 14, 2009
- Car catches fire as Panetta lands in Afghanistan - Mar 15, 2012
- NATO soldier dies in southern Afghanistan - Feb 11, 2010
Tags: armoured vehicle, battalion, british ministry of defence, british soldiers, combat operations, defence secretary, duke of lancaster, explosion, helmand province, london march, military personnel, ministry of defence, national security, philip hammond, southern afghanistan, xinhua, yorkshire, yorkshire regiment