Sir Walter Scott’s ‘lost poem’ foundSeptember 10th, 2010 - 1:49 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 10 (ANI): An unpublished poem by Sir Walter Scott, one of Scotland’s greatest writers, has been discovered and will be read in public for the first time.
The poem, called The Hills of Killearn, is part of a hidden collection of documents kept at Cambusmore House near Callander.
Sir Walter spent many vacations at the house as a young lawyer and nine letters in the collection, written over a number of years, will be going on display in Callander.
For more than 200 years, Baillie-Hamilton family of Cambusmore House was the custodian of the poem.
“The discovery of the unpublished poem and letters is very exciting. We are very lucky that the Baillie-Hamilton family have given us access to these wonderful examples of Scott’s writing. The letters show what a strong influence the Trossachs had on Scott and how they inspired him to produce some of his most popular work,” the BBC news quoted Elspeth McLachlan, ScottsLand.co.uk director, as saying.
The poem, written during one of Sir Walter’s many visits to the area, praises several local places like Aberfeldy and Callander and will be first read in Roman Camp Country House Hotel in Callander during mid September. (ANI)
- Robert Burns's last days revealed in a letter - Aug 04, 2010
- An unusual Spanish literary award ceremony - Apr 24, 2012
- Unpublished Philip Larkin poem reveals secretary as muse - Dec 06, 2010
- Sarah McLachlan's 'One Dream' chosen for the Vancouver Olympics - Jan 24, 2010
- Sarah McLachlan Announces "Sarah And Friends" Fall Tour - Sep 09, 2010
- Sarah McLachlan mocked in South Park - May 27, 2011
- Kerry Katona cracks two ribs during training - Dec 20, 2010
- Star spangled banner copy sells for $506,500 - Dec 06, 2010
- The other side of Sibal: Minister recites poetry - Mar 27, 2012
- Witherspoon, Reynolds to star in 'Big Eyes' - Jan 24, 2012
- Dominic Cork signs up for 'Dancing on Ice' - Dec 17, 2010
- Richness of our language getting lost: Amitabh Bachchan (Interview) - Aug 11, 2011
- TV actor Rajiv Paul pens book, thanks Juhi Chawal for support - Jan 30, 2012
- Lost book by Enid Blyton found - Feb 23, 2011
- Nabokov's unpublished love letters to be released - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: aberfeldy, bbc, bbc news, callander, country house hotel, custodian, discovery, hamilton family, killearn, london, roman camp, scotland, sir walter scott, trossachs, uk director, unpublished poem, vacations, walter scott, young lawyer