Sir Peter Blake’’s Queen to be auctioned for charitySeptember 21st, 2008 - 4:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 21 (ANI): A portrait of the Queen, painted by Sir Peter Blake, one of the greatest pop artists in UK, will go under the hammer to raise money for a cancer charity.
Originally, Blake painted the portrait for a reception held at the Royal Academy of Arts to celebrate the Queen’’s Golden Jubilee in 2002.
The piece of art, along with several others, will be auctioned at The Macmillan De”Longhi on Sept 23 in London, in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support.
He is known for his rock album covers, right from the Beatles” Sgt. Pepper’’s to Stop the Clocks by Oasis, reports Telegraph.
Added to his credit are his vivid paintings and collages of seemingly-everyday scenes and objects.
He was awarded a knighthood for his services to art in 2002 only.
It is believed that the auction, which also includes work by some of today’’s most prominent British artists, such as Damien Hirst, Gavin Turk and Stella Vine, would raise over 100,000 pounds. (ANI)
- Stella McCartney donates sketch to auction - May 05, 2012
- Damien Hirst: 'I Was Inspired by Blue Peter' - Aug 30, 2012
- Andy Warhol self-portrait goes on display for the first time in 30 yrs - Feb 12, 2011
- Clumsy visitors posing threat to British art - Oct 30, 2011
- Shekhar Kapur wants Damien Hirst for his next - Jan 15, 2012
- Beckhams get designer painting for Harper - Aug 03, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta, Khoj, Pakistani art to lead Christie's Asian sale (With Image) - May 30, 2012
- Bring a slice of Rodin's legacy home - for Rs.6 lakh - Feb 02, 2011
- Adele, Cowell paint portraits for Queen - Apr 09, 2012
- Where Indian art meets global creativity (With Image) - Jan 26, 2012
- 'Insensitive' Damien Hirst slammed for using baby's skull in new artwork - Jan 10, 2011
- F.N. Souza's London years by Ida Kar in Delhi - Oct 05, 2011
- Contemporary masters on paper in Saffronart auction - Jul 05, 2011
- Rare portraits of Gandhi to be auctioned in England - Jan 13, 2012
- 'Putin-Mona Lisa' portrait sold for $300,000 - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: academy of arts, beatles, beatles sgt pepper, british artists, cancer charity, clocks, collages, damien hirst, de longhi, everyday scenes, gavin turk, golden jubilee, knighthood, macmillan cancer support, oasis, pop artists, royal academy of arts, sir peter blake, stella vine, vivid paintings