Sir John Major secretly penned poetry to beat 10 Downing Street stressMarch 7th, 2009 - 5:55 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 7 (ANI): Former British Prime Minister Sir John Major used to secretly write poetry to relieve himself of stress, it has emerged.
The 64-year-old, who lost the 1997 general election to Tony Blair, penned verse during his time in 10 Downing Street, including rhyming couplets honouring former England Test captain Lord Colin Cowdrey.
“Throughout my time in Downing Street and office I had always jotted down poems, the Telegraph quoted him as saying.
“They were about cricket subjects and about politics and about characters. With some of my political poems it is probably best they are never seen in public!
“But in the case of Colin l am pleased to share it. We were very close friends and used to get together for whiskies almost on a weekly basis,” he added.
Judith Palmer, director of the Poetry Society, dubbed his Lord Colin Cowdrey - A Cricketing Gentleman as a “heartfelt elegy”, stressing the cultural contribution made by Sir John.
She said: “It would be great if we had more politicians actively participating in our cultural life.
“To write poetry you need to have an attentiveness to life and a wish to communicate - skills that are also good in a politician.”” (ANI)
- Diplomatic poetic literature: A growing creativity - Jul 27, 2012
- Sangakkara to deliver MCC Spirit of Cricket lecture at Lord's - May 17, 2011
- Tagore, Ramayana, faith - Indian flavours to spice up bookshelf (IANS Books This Week) - Feb 03, 2011
- Youth cries for justice in Kapil Sibal's poetry session - Jan 21, 2012
- Diplomat delights with poetry of promise (IANS Book Review) - Nov 07, 2011
- Karmapa reviving use of Sanskrit in spiritual order - Dec 24, 2011
- Using poetry to teach computers better language skills - Nov 21, 2010
- Biel, Farrell bonded over poetry - Sep 06, 2012
- Music, calligraphy, poetry in Vikram Seth's new work - Mar 17, 2012
- Hidden sex poems 'key to 18th century book's success' claims academic - Feb 05, 2011
- Poetry of truth prospers in India's lifestyle angst - Nov 02, 2011
- Haryana bureaucrats have new turn-on -- poetry, books! - Jan 17, 2012
- Entertainment, entertainment, entertainment - at IPL 5 opener! - Mar 31, 2012
- Poet-TV persona Pritish Nandy experiments with 140-character poetry (With Image) - Jul 18, 2012
- Urdu poetry blurs borders at Shankar-Shad 'mushaira' - Mar 24, 2012
Tags: 10 downing street, attentiveness, british prime minister, captain lord, close friends, colin cowdrey, downing street, elegy, england test, general election, gentleman, john major, london march, poetry society, political poems, politician, rhyming couplets, sir john, tony blair, whiskies