Sino-Indian seminar in Beijing to boost cooperationMay 31st, 2009 - 4:56 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 31 (ANI): Around 100 officials and scholars from China and India have gathered in Beijing to discuss how to boost cooperation between the two Asian giants.
“Dragon and elephant have danced together in recent years,” Feng Zuoku, vice president of the Chinese People’s Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries, said at the start of the seminar.
Dragon is usually referred to China while elephant signifies India, Xinhua reported.
As a metric of rapidly growing ties, bilateral trade volume hit 51.78 billion US dollars in 2008, making China India’s top trading partner, Feng said.
Feng said both countries made breakthroughs in military and security cooperation and enjoyed huge potential in cooperation in information technology, culture, education, finance, science and counter-terrorism.
The two-day seminar aimed at examining the merits and faults in the development of both countries and enhancing mutual understanding.
Feng said the seminar would also discuss how the two countries would work together to tackle the global economic downturn.
“India-China relationship that encompasses two fifths of the world’s population is imbued with relevance for developing nations everywhere,” India Ambassador to China Nirupama Rao told the seminar.
Rao, the first lady ambassador of India to China, said the relationship had entered a phase of growth and expansion, in various spheres.
She said the partnership between the two countries was even further extended by their ability to complement each other’s strengths. (ANI)
- China rules out rivalry with India, allays trade deficit concerns (Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
- India hopes China will resolve stapled visas, will pitch for UN seat (Second Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
- China denied rivalry with India, drums up trade, $16 bn deals (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2010
- India to deepen engagement with Asia-Pacific region - Dec 07, 2011
- China needs to be more sensitive to our sovereignty issues: India - Dec 03, 2010
- Chinese envoy speaks peace a day after Indian missile test - Apr 20, 2012
- 'Stapled visa issue', still in for in-depth discussions - Dec 16, 2010
- Premier Wen rejects Chinese 'dragon' vs Indian 'elephant' theory (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Hu in India Wednesday: trade imbalance, cultural ties on agenda - Mar 27, 2012
- India, China reject confrontation, pitch for greater trust (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Chinese firms mull joint ventures in India (With image) - Apr 13, 2012
- US lawmaker praises India's role in Afghanistan - Apr 19, 2012
- India touches base with future China PM, maps future ties (Roundup) - Jun 06, 2012
- India, China seal new border mechanism to enhance trust (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Massive people-to-people contact programme on anvil: Chinese envoy - Jul 22, 2011
Tags: asian giants, bilateral trade, china relationship, counter terrorism, culture education, developing nations, economic downturn, education finance, faults, first lady, foreign countries, india china, merits, mutual understanding, nirupama rao, security cooperation, spheres, technology culture, trade volume, xinhua