Sinkhole in Guatemala City swallows an entire buildingJune 2nd, 2010 - 2:19 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Guatemala City, Jun 1 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Guatemala City’s inhabitants are facing one natural disaster after another. First it was struck by a volcano, and then a tropical storm Agatha played havoc and created mass destruction, and now a sinkhole. In fact the sinkhole has also managed to swallow up an entire building, which has shocked the residents of the region, no end. One man was also reported to have been killed, when he fell into the sinkhole.
The sinkhole was formed at the intersection of the Guatemala City, and it looks like a perfect circle, when viewed from the top. It was formed just underneath a three-storey building and it also managed to swallow up the building. According to the experts the cause of the sinkholes is believed to be the furious rain that had recently lashed the region. And the most surprising thing about sinkholes is that, they give no prior warning and appear suddenly and also have a variety of sizes.
Due to the fast and furious rain (because of the tropical storm), 123 people are reported to have died, and around 90 people are missing. Many people have been rendered homeless, and the rain is also playing havoc with the rescue efforts.
- Giant Sinkhole Formed At Downtown Guatemala City - Jun 01, 2010
- Sinkhole In Guatemala Swallows Buildings, Cause Unknown - Jun 02, 2010
- Guatemalan woman finds sinkhole under her bed - Jul 21, 2011
- After a volcano, Guatemala struck by the tropical storm 'Agatha' - May 30, 2010
- Tropical storm Agatha kills 40 in Guatemala (Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Tropical storm Agatha pours over Guatemala and El Salvador - Jun 02, 2010
- UN prepares to aid Central Americans affected by tropical storm Agatha - Jun 02, 2010
- Toll in storm Agatha climbs to 184 - Jun 03, 2010
- Tropical storm Agatha kills 46 in Central America - May 31, 2010
- Four killed as Tropical Storm Agatha, first of the Eastern Pacific season, closes in on Guatemala - May 30, 2010
- Five dead in Pakistan building collapse - Apr 13, 2012
- Tropical storm Agatha kills 12 in Guatemala - May 31, 2010
- 73 killed in Guatemala tropical storm - May 31, 2010
- Toll in storm Agatha rises to 100 (Third Lead) - May 31, 2010
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
Tags: agatha, havoc, inhabitants, intersection, mass destruction, natural disaster, one man, perfect circle, rain, rescue efforts, sinkhole in guatemala, sinkhole in guatemala city, sinkholes, swallows, tropical storm, volcano