Singer shot at during robbery in Mexican cityFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 5:34 pm ICT by IANS
Ciudad Juarez (Mexico) Feb 23 (IANS/EFE) A member of popular musical band Caballo Dorado was shot by several men who robbed him in Ciudad Juarez city of Mexico, police said.Eduardo Gameros was wounded Monday when at least four armed men held up the group’s six members, stole their wallets, watches and other items.
Lead singer Gameros resisted and was shot in the leg, investigators said, adding that the musician was taken to a clinic for treatment.
The armed robbery occurred in the southern section of Ciudad Juarez, which is across the Rio Grande from El Paso, Texas, when the band’s members stopped for refreshments before performing at a concert scheduled for Monday afternoon, the Chihuahua state Attorney General’s Office said.
The musicians were travelling from their hometown of Chihuahua city, the state capital, to Ciudad Juarez for a series of concerts.
Caballo Dorado became popular in Mexico and the US for the covers of country songs like “El Diablo bajo a Georgia” (The Devil Went Down to Georgia) and “No Rompas Mi Corazon” (Achy Breaky Heart).
Ciudad Juarez, where over 7,000 people have been murdered since 2008, is considered Mexico’s most dangerous city.
Over 3,100 people were murdered in the border city last year, making 2010 the worst year since a war between rival drug gangs sent the homicide rate skyrocketing in 2008.
Juarez first gained notoriety in the early 1990s when young women began to disappear in the area. Over 500 women have been killed in Juarez since 1993, with the majority of the cases going unsolved.
- 13 shot dead inside bar in Mexico - Apr 22, 2012
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Six mutilated bodies found in Mexico - Sep 12, 2011
- Accused of rape, Mexican singer held in US - Jan 22, 2011
- Doctor shot dead in Mexican city - Dec 24, 2010
- Gunmen attack funeral procession in Mexican city - Feb 17, 2011
- 10 killed in bar shooting in Mexico - Apr 02, 2011
- Funeral home attacked with fire bombs in Mexico - Mar 02, 2011
- 300 women killed in 2010 in Mexican border city - Dec 26, 2010
- 5 killed in attack on Mexican bar - Apr 03, 2011
- Violence leaves 8,500 orphans in Mexican border city - Feb 25, 2011
- Extortionists torch school in Mexican border city - Dec 07, 2010
- Mexican city closes 2,000 streets - Mar 03, 2011
- Mexico busts gang that kidnapped doctors - Mar 03, 2010
- Mexican judge hands down country's first life sentence - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: achy breaky heart, armed men, armed robbery, border city, caballo dorado, chihuahua state, ciudad juarez mexico, country songs, dangerous city, devil went down to georgia, drug gangs, homicide rate, juarez city, monday afternoon, no rompas mi corazon, notoriety, refreshments, rio grande, state attorney general, wallets