Singapore to host maiden Youth Olympics in 2010February 22nd, 2008 - 4:51 pm ICT by admin
Lausanne (Switzerland), Feb 22 (IANS) Singapore pipped Moscow to host the first Youth Olympic Games in 2010 in a vote at the International Olympic Committee (IOC) here Thursday. The result was announced here at the Olympic Museum by IOC president Jacques Rogge. This will be the first time Singapore will host a major international multi-sport event and the IOC was also eager to reward the event to a city which otherwise would never be able to stage the full Olympics.
“We dared to dream, we worked hard to pursue our dream in spite of the odds, and now the dream will become a reality,” Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said.
The Olympic Youth Games will see some 3,200 athletes in the age group of 14-18 competing in 26 disciplines and will be held once every four years.
- Six cities bid for 2018 Youth Olympic Games - Mar 03, 2012
- Rogge praises Youth Games, expects top athletes in 2014 - Aug 26, 2010
- British Olympic Association backs Glasgow as 2018 Youth Olympics host - Feb 23, 2012
- Istanbul, Madrid, Tokyo vie for hosting 2020 Olympics - May 24, 2012
- Youth Olympics should not be an expensive affair: IOC president - Jan 23, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Not easy to adopt basketball in Youth Olympics: Rogge - Aug 24, 2010
- Nanjing, China to host Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2014 - Feb 11, 2010
- IOC chief calls for fair Games, praises Vancouver - Feb 10, 2010
- IOC chief Rogge to attend Commonwealth Games opening ceremony - Sep 30, 2010
- Cameron says London will be ready for Olympics - Mar 28, 2012
- Olympic Committee chief in New Delhi for CWG - Oct 02, 2010
- Six new events for 2014 Winter Olympics - Apr 07, 2011
- Youth Olympics should limit cost to hosts, says IOC - Aug 20, 2010
- IOC defends Dow, will remain Olympic sponsor - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: age group, disciplines, international olympic committee, ioc president, lausanne switzerland, lee hsien loong, moscow, multi sport, odds, olympic games, olympic museum, olympics, prime minister lee, singapore prime minister, spite, sport event, vote, youth games, youth olympics