Singapore jails restaurant owner for phantom worker scamMarch 27th, 2009 - 12:05 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, March 27 (DPA) A Singapore restaurant owner became the first employer to be jailed for a so-called phantom-worker scam, which involves declaring a false number of local employees in order to to hire more foreign workers, the Straits Times reported Friday.
District Judge Shaiffudin Saruwan jailed Sulaiman Abdullah for six months. Sulaiman claimed he had tried hard but failed to recruit Singaporean workers.
Employers are allowed to hire foreign workers after they meet a certain quota of Singaporean employees, but there has been an increasing number of phantom-workers cases with 17 employers being charged since November.
Sulaiman paid the compulsory fees for five local employees, who never worked at his restaurant, and applied for work permits for 10 foreign workers.
Judge Shaiffudin said Sulaiman’s action had frustrated the government’s efforts to regulate and monitor the recruitment of foreign labour effectively.
- Malaysia allows entry of 45,000 foreign workers - Mar 01, 2011
- Singapore busts illegal labour supply syndicate - Apr 09, 2009
- Singapore tightens criteria for work visas - Oct 22, 2011
- Etihad Airways launches recruitment drive in Oman - Apr 16, 2012
- India says it is acting to resolve its workers' crisis in Angola - May 16, 2012
- Malaysia makes medical cover mandatory for foreign workers - Nov 29, 2010
- Singapore's jobless rate at 14-year low - Mar 15, 2012
- US firm charged with mistreating Indian workers - Apr 22, 2011
- US whistleblower accuses Infosys of visa fraud - Apr 13, 2012
- Malaysian govt. approves 45,000 foreign worker slots for Indian business community - Feb 28, 2011
- Don't look for excuses to hire foreigners, Malaysian PM tells bosses - May 09, 2010
- Traits that job ads seek unchanged over 50 years - May 24, 2011
- Labour in Communist China suffer exploitation - Dec 15, 2011
- Companies rely on employee referral for hiring - Aug 31, 2011
- Malaysian restaurants owners not sincere in hiring locals - Apr 07, 2010