Simpson always felt like ‘runner-up’ to Spears, AguileraMay 6th, 2009 - 11:24 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 6 (IANS) American singer-actress Jessica Simpson has revealed that she was always disappointed by her pop career because she constantly felt like a “runner-up” next to her chart rivals Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera.
The 28-year-old first came up against her pop rivals when she was a child auditioning for Disney’s “Mickey Mouse Club” TV show, as both Spears and Aguilera won places on the programme, while Simpson was rejected.
Simpson has confessed never to forget the snub, but when she finally launched her own pop career in 1999, her debut album came several months after her rivals’ and she now admits that she feels like she has always been playing ‘catch-up’ with Spears and Aguilera, conctactmusic.com reports.
“When I got the letter (from the ‘Mickey Mouse Club’) that said I didn’t make it, I just remember that I was giving up and I thought that I was going to die. It’s funny to look at my journals and see all the fears I had to face. (Those girls) all remembered me. I didn’t feel competitive. I was more intimidated,” she said.
“My album was different (from theirs). I released a ballad first. I wasn’t dancing and doing that whole thing. I wanted to set myself apart. But I was always third runner-up,” she added.
Simpson quit pop music in 2007, turning her focus to a career in country music instead.
- Why Christina Aguilera decided to end her marriage - Dec 03, 2010
- Christina Aguilera gets Hollywood Walk of Fame star - Nov 16, 2010
- Spears gives $100 tip to waiter - Apr 15, 2012
- Songwriter defends Britney Spears for not demanding co-writing credits - Apr 09, 2011
- Rourke threatened suicide if Otis didn't marry him - Oct 11, 2011
- I don't support drug use: Madonna - Mar 28, 2012
- Jessica Simpson: I haven't spoken to Nick Lachey in years - May 05, 2009
- Music is always my first love: Aguilera - Sep 19, 2011
- Pixie Lott always wanted to be famous - Dec 20, 2010
- Britney Spears still dominates music charts despite personal problems - Mar 10, 2011
- Knightley didn't like music while growing up - Jun 19, 2012
- Britney's next single leaks, predicted to be a hit - Mar 05, 2011
- Christina Aguilera Shines In 'Burlesque' Soundtrack - Nov 27, 2010
- Pop star Whitney Houston dies at 48 (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Whitney Houston: Another star falls (Roundup) - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: actress, american singer, ballad, britney spears, christina aguilera, club tv, country music, debut album, disney, fears, jessica simpson, journals, london, mickey mouse club, pop career, pop music, pop rivals, snub, those girls, tv show