Sikkim teen cheated by Nepali toutApril 24th, 2009 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, April 24 (IANS) An 18-year-old girl from India’s Sikkim state has suffered for over two years after being duped by a Nepali tout, a report said.
Januka Sharma, who dreamt of becoming rich by working in Lebanon, is now under sedation in a shelter in Kathmandu run by an NGO that works to prevent trafficking of women and children.
The girl was found in a distressed condition in Kathmandu’s Tribhuvan International Airport Wednesday and handed over to police, the Kantipur daily reported Friday.
Incoherent and mentally unstable, she was taken to the shelter for trafficking victims run by Maiti Nepal.
Initial queries by the NGO found that Sharma was lured with a job offer in Lebanon by a Nepali broker, Manisha Darnal, the report said.
The teen paid the woman Rs.25,000 for a job as a maid in Lebanon.
However, during her nearly two years’ stay in Lebanon, she was treated badly by her employer, who used to beat her up severely, the teen told the NGO.
“I decided to return after being thrashed regularly,” she said.
Police said they found $1,600 in her bag.
The NGO said that the girl was mentally unbalanced and had to be sedated.
It also said it had contacted her relatives after coming across their phone numbers in her diary.
Sharma was sent to Lebanon using the passport of a Nepali woman, Kumari Oli.
Every year, thousands of women from India and Nepal are lured away to the Gulf countries by unscrupulous brokers with offers of tempting jobs.
The women, who are mostly illiterate, are abused by their employers, often unpaid and starved and even sexually exploited.
Organised networks run through India, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka sending duped women abroad on fake passports to destinations that are banned by the governments of their respective countries.
- Indian Army officer's daughter is Nepal's new global hero - Nov 22, 2010
- Nepal filmmakers turn their lens on trafficking - Nov 25, 2010
- Nepal's growing pornography trade preys on women - Jun 16, 2010
- Warden booked for sodomising mentally disabled in Haryana - Jul 02, 2012
- Nepali woman arrested for human trafficking - Aug 23, 2010
- A social activist's struggle to save women - Sep 21, 2011
- Nepali woman labelled 'Terminator' for her fight against human trafficking - Jan 30, 2011
- Delhi embassy driver named in Nepal kidney racket - Feb 22, 2009
- From Kamathipura to meet Clinton: A Nepali woman's long march (Feature, with image) - Jul 10, 2011
- Shelter home exploitation: cop held for destroying evidence - Jul 06, 2012
- 14-year-old trafficked Manipur girl rescued in Gurgaon - Feb 10, 2011
- Scandals to protests, Hooda gets busy this summer (Haryana Newsletter) - Jul 06, 2012
- AIDS has a new name in Nepal: Mumbaiya - Dec 01, 2009
- Human trafficking manual helps police in northeast - Feb 20, 2011
- India biggest market for trafficked Nepali women - Jun 17, 2009
Tags: april 24, distressed condition, fake passports, gulf countries, job offer, kantipur, kathmandu, kumari, lebanon, maiti nepal, manisha, nepali, ngo, old girl, passport, sedation, trafficking of women, trafficking of women and children, trafficking victims, tribhuvan international airport