Sikh marathon walker honoured by British ministerApril 28th, 2008 - 7:46 pm ICT by admin
London, April 28 (IANS) A Sikh community leader in London who will set off on a 700-km walk this summer to raise funds for research into diseases of the bowel has been honoured by British Home Office Minister Tony McNulty. Balwant ‘Bobby’ Grewal, president of the India Association, was honoured at a Baisakhi gala celebration hosted by Non Resident Indian businessman Rami Ranger Saturday night.
Ranger, who also heads the British Sikh Association, organised the massive event at a hotel in northwest London.
Also honoured were Ashraf Chohan, secretary general of the Pakistan India UK Friendship Forum; Fauja Singh, who at 93 became the oldest person to run the London marathon four years ago until his record was broken this year by a centurion; Ravi Chand, a former police officer and president of the National Black Police Association; and Teji Singh, founder of Sterling Media, a public relations firm.
Grewal, well known among Indians in Britain for his walking marathons, has announced plans to begin a ‘Parliament 2 Parliament Walk’ June 4 from the Scottish parliament in Edinburgh to the British House of Commons in London.
The 700-km walk will take five weeks to complete and raise funds for research into bowel cancer and other bowel diseases at St Mark’s hospital in Harrow, northwest London.
- At 101, Fauja Singh still running! - Apr 01, 2012
- Fauja Singh's coach, family fume at 'political misuse' - Jan 25, 2012
- Fauja Singh calls it a day-only for full marathons! - Apr 23, 2012
- What Guinness? My job is to run: 100-year-old Fauja Singh (Interview) (With images) - Jan 04, 2012
- At 100, Sikh marathoner lives to see his biography (With Image) - Jun 12, 2011
- Secret to a happy marriage: Get angry - Aug 04, 2012
- At 100, Sikh marathoner yearns to read biography (With Image) - Jul 08, 2011
- Apology, hate mails after 'killer' spoof on 101-year-old marathoner Fauja Singh - Aug 05, 2012
- Oldest half marathoner wants to run till end - Jan 21, 2011
- Nintendo Wii helps stroke patients recover - Jul 21, 2012
- Why getting mad at your spouse is important - Jan 08, 2011
- Getting mad at your spouse may be the secret to a happy married life - Jan 30, 2011
- Brit Sikhs celebrate Baisakhi in style - Apr 29, 2008
- Frequent sex 'protects' neurotic people's marital happiness - Dec 08, 2010
- Frequent sex makes neurotic newlyweds happy - Dec 09, 2010
Tags: balwant, black police association, bowel cancer, bowel diseases, fauja singh, friendship forum, gala celebration, home office minister, india association, indian businessman, indians in britain, london marathon, massive event, national black police association, northwest london, pakistan india, ravi chand, scottish parliament, sikh community, tony mcnulty