Sikh group hires lobbyist to educate US mediaFebruary 2nd, 2012 - 12:42 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 2 (IANS) A US Sikh community group has hired a lobbying firm to educate the American media about the true identity, image and message of Sikhism in the wake of TV show host Jay Leno’s controversial comments about the Golden Temple.
New York based Sikhs for Justice (SFJ) said the move was in response to the global Sikh community’s concern over the Leno show where he passed off a visual of the Sikh’s holiest shrine as the vacation home of Republican frontrunner presidential candidate Mitt Romney and an ongoing spree of hate crimes against Sikhs in the US.
The lobbyists will approach NBC, which broadcast the Leno show, to provide a forum to a panel of Sikh scholars and notables to educate media and American public about the sanctity and sensitivity of the temple, it said.
NBC will also be asked to run a documentary on Sikhism during prime time to help spreading the true identity, image and message of Sikh religion.
Also since Sikhs have been victims of hate crime after 9/11 due to misinformation about Sikh religion and identity, lobbyists will approach the US media to run segments showing authentic message of Sikhism.
Educating the international media about true information regarding Sikhs is much needed to spread the true message of Sikhism and to put an end to the decade long spree of violent “hate crimes” against Sikhs, SFJ legal advisor Gurpatwant S. Pannun said.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- India, US Sikh group object to Golden Temple comments - Jan 25, 2012
- US group seeks separate registration of Sikh marriages - Sep 01, 2011
- US comedian Jay Leno sued over Golden Temple joke - Jan 26, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- US Sikh group complains against Bachchan in Australia - Oct 19, 2011
- US court summons Congress party on Sikh riots case - Mar 02, 2011
- Canadian Sikhs show solidarity with Rajoana - Mar 29, 2012
- US Sikh group seeks Kamal Nath's prosecution in Belgium - Oct 07, 2011
- Sikh group asks UNESCO to preserve Haryana ruins - Mar 12, 2011
- Sikh-Americans confident they shall overcome - Aug 19, 2012
- Kamal Nath summoned by US court in 1984 Sikh riots case - Jan 23, 2011
- US court sets Sep 21 for pre-trial in 1984 riots case - May 31, 2011
- Sikh group protests Sonia Gandhi's presence in US - Mar 03, 2012
- Badal hit by human rights lawsuit in US - Aug 09, 2012
- Sikh group seeks UN intervention to save Bhullar - Jun 18, 2011
Tags: arun kumar, community group, controversial comments, frontrunner, golden temple, hate crime, hate crimes, jay leno, leno show, lobbying firm, lobbyists, mitt romney, religion and identity, sfj, sikh community, sikh scholars, sikhism, sikhs, true identity, true message