Shutdown begins in Jammu over Amarnath Shrine Board issueJune 26th, 2008 - 12:01 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 26 (ANI): A shutdown is being observed in Jammu today against the politicisation of allotment of land to the Amarnath Shrine Board.
On Wednesday, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said that an all-party meeting has been convened to find solution to the issue.
“‘There will be no constructions on that land until we arrive at a consensus,” said Azad. Azad also appealed to the people and the media to help in maintaining peace and harmony in the state.
The Jammu and Kashmir Government has recently transferred nearly 40 hectares of forestland in Baltal area to the Shri Amarnath-ji Shrine Board (SASB) for 23.1 million rupees. The move drew sharp reaction across the political spectrum. It brought together two bitter factions of the separatist All-Party Hurriyat (Freedom) Conference (APHC) to resist the move. The shrine board’s CEO Arun Kumar, who is also the Principal Secretary to the state Governor Lt. General (Retired) S.K. Sinha, confirmed this week that the land transfer was “permanent” and legitimate as the shrine board is a state body. While the move implies an implicit approval of the Congress party, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and the National Conference Party have opposed the move. (ANI)
- No plans to construct motorable road to Amarnath shrine: Kashmir - Aug 19, 2012
- Shops, business establishments remain closed in Srinagar - Jun 24, 2008
- Sri Sri on panel to decide Amarnath pilgrimage duration - Jul 23, 2011
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage registration from May 7 - Apr 21, 2012
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Shutdown continues in Kashmir over Amarnath Shrine Board issue - Jun 28, 2008
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- 'Amarnath yatra duration as per religious tradition' - Apr 15, 2012
- Amarnath yatra dates decided on religious calendar, says shrine board (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: allotment, arun kumar, congress party, forestland, freedom conference, ghulam nabi azad, implicit approval, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, kashmir chief minister, lt general, peace and harmony, political spectrum, principal secretary, rupees, sasb, shri, shrine board, sinha, state governor