Show thrower says ex-Oz PM Howard deserved ‘a lot worse’for Iraq War involvementOctober 26th, 2010 - 11:41 am ICT by ANI
Sydney, Oct. 26 (ANI): A man who threw a shoe at former Australian Prime Minister John Howard on last night’s Q&A program on ABC TV said he “deserves a lot worse” than having shoes thrown at him.
Hunter Valley man Peter Gray was unapologetic about his actions this morning, telling Newcastle ABC Radio he was angry about Australia’s involvement in the Iraq War and he “found the right type of protest” to get his point across.
“That is for Iraqi dead,” the Sydney Morning herald quoted Gray, as shouting when the shoes missed their target.
However, he did express “regret” if his actions caused embarrassment to Q&A and its host, Tony Jones.
“I was certainly very frustrated to him [Mr Howard] not responding to the question I put to him,” he said.
He also refused to answer questions on whether the shoe throwing was premeditated or appropriate.
“I wish … I didn’t feel the need to do something like that. Everyone will make their judgment on whether it was the right thing to do,” he said.
Gray said he sympathized with Muntazer al-Zaidi, an Iraqi journalist who was jailed for throwing his shoes at former US president George Bush.
“The reason I threw shoes … [is] because it has significance for all the people in the Middle East and it’s the people I want to send a message to,” Gray said.
Gray confirmed that ABC staff refused to return his shoes. (ANI)
- Man who threw shoes at ex-Australian PM dies - May 10, 2011
- Iraqi shoe-thrower coming to Delhi to watch play on him - Mar 07, 2011
- Shoes hurled at Zardari in Britain - Aug 08, 2010
- Iraqi shoe-thrower pelted with shoe - Dec 02, 2009
- Iraqi shoe-thrower targeted with shoe (Lead) - Dec 02, 2009
- Zardari guarded by 'human shield' at press conference to prevent shoe attack - Aug 20, 2010
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist released - Sep 15, 2009
- 'Iraqi reporter who hurled shoes at Bush was injected with unknown substance in jail' - Sep 15, 2009
- Iraqi shoe thrower inundated with offers of cars, homes and a wife! - Sep 09, 2009
- Man attempts to throw shoe at Musharraf - Nov 05, 2011
- Shoe throwing Iraqi journalist's release from jail postponed by a day - Sep 14, 2009
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist alleges torture (Lead) - Sep 15, 2009
- Throwing footwear: A trend to showcase anger - Oct 18, 2011
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist gets three years in prison (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2009
- Man hurls shoes at judge in Pakistan - Nov 23, 2010
Tags: abc radio, abc staff, abc tv, australian prime minister, australian prime minister john howard, embarrassment, george bush, hunter valley, iraq war, john howard, minister john howard, morning herald, peter gray, president george bush, prime minister john, prime minister john howard, sydney morning herald, target, us president george, zaidi