Shot US Congresswoman Giffords re-learning to speak, lip-syncs “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”February 14th, 2011 - 2:05 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 14 (ANI): Democratic Party Representative Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot in the head at close range at a constituent event in Tucson last month, appears to be staring her life from the scratch, with reports saying that she is now putting efforts to learn speaking from mouthing words to lip-syncing nursery rimes like “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”.
Along with her friends and family members, Giffords has been mouthing the lyrics to “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” and “I Can’t Give You Anything but Love, Baby.” A friend is also helping her to mouth words like “Happy Birthday to You” in an effort to wish her husband on his birthday this month, The New York Times reports.
“It’s not like she’s speaking the way she spoke, but she is vocalizing and making progress every day. She’s working very hard. She’s determined. It’s a tight schedule. A copy of it is hanging on her door,” Pia Carusone, Giffords’s chief of staff, said.
Carusone also said that on Sunday, Giffords’s husband, Captain Mark E. Kelly had put the congresswoman on the phone to talk to his twin brother and fellow astronaut, Scott, who is aboard the International Space Station.
“She said, ‘Hi, I’m good,’ ” Carusone added.
Despite her early signs of recovery, many outside specialists are sceptical about what functions in Giffords’s mind were affected after she was shot on January 8. Brain specialists said that patients with similar injuries often face problems in communicating or undergo personality changes, the paper said.
The shooting rampage had killed six and injured 12 others. (ANI)
- 'Hard working' shot US Congresswoman Giffords tells husband her condition is "better" - Feb 19, 2011
- Shot Congresswoman now singing, enjoying matzo ball soup - Mar 04, 2011
- US Congresswoman to resign - Jan 23, 2012
- U.S. Rep. Giffords devastated by news of shooting deaths, but physical condition improving - Apr 24, 2011
- Shot US Congresswoman Giffords to attend husband's shuttle launch on April 19 - Mar 11, 2011
- Tucson boy sells toys to raise $2.85 for Congresswoman Giffords - Jan 21, 2011
- Gabrielle Giffords recovering from her skull wound - May 19, 2011
- U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords Shot In Arizona - Jan 09, 2011
- Gabrielle Giffords is talking and singing - Feb 15, 2011
- Shot US Congresswoman Giffords speaking, but has no memory of being shot - Mar 12, 2011
- President Barack Obama Pays Visit To Tucson Shooting Victims - Jan 13, 2011
- Shot US Congresswoman Giffords now able to walk and speak - Mar 25, 2011
- Rep Gabrielle Giffords is communicating with her family - Jan 14, 2011
- Gabrielle Giffords to undergo intensive therapy - Oct 24, 2011
- Gabrielle Giffords is in good condition so transferred to rehab center - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: brain specialists, captain mark, close range, congresswoman, feb 14, fellow astronaut, gabrielle giffords, international space station, lip syncs, lyrics to twinkle twinkle little star, mouth words, new york times, nursery rimes, party representative, personality changes, rampage, tight schedule, twin brother, twinkle little star, twinkle twinkle little star