Shot US Congresswoman chances of survival 101 percent, say doctorsJanuary 12th, 2011 - 1:12 pm ICT by ANI
Tucson (Arizona, US), Jan.12 (ANI): Doctors attending to critically wounded Democrat Representative Gabrielle Giffords have said that her chances of survival are now 101 percent, and added that she is making a remarkably strong recovery.
Giffords’ was shot in her head on Saturday.
“She has a 101 percent chance of surviving,” ABC News quoted trauma chief Dr. Peter Rhee, as saying on Tuesday.
He added: “She will not die. She does not have that permission from me.”
While Giffords’ breathing tube remained in place, her neurosurgeon Dr. Michael Lemole said she is breathing on her own for the first time since the shooting.
Doctors added that Giffords is moving both arms. Two days ago they were delighted that she could raise two fingers and squeeze a hand.
The doctors corrected themselves on one aspect of the wound. They now believe she was shot in the forehead, with the bullet traveling the length of the left side of the brain and exiting the back. They originally believed she was shot in the back of the head and bullet exited her forehead.
Giffords’ husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, has been by her side since shortly after she was shot on Saturday, allegedly by 22-year-old Jared Loughner, on Saturday. (ANI)
- Arizona Shooting Victim Gabrielle Giffords Responding To Commands, Doctors Say - Jan 10, 2011
- U. S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Expected To Be Released On Friday - Jan 20, 2011
- Doctors say Giffords recovering, but still not stable - Jan 14, 2011
- Former US Congresswoman's shooter pleads guilty - Aug 08, 2012
- Gabrielle Giffords is in good condition so transferred to rehab center - Jan 27, 2011
- Shot congresswoman Giffords taken off ventilator in Arizona - Jan 16, 2011
- Gabrielle Giffords May Leave Hospital Sooner Than Expected - Jan 18, 2011
- Shot Rep. Giffords 'miraculously' smiles, rubs hubby's neck - Jan 18, 2011
- Tucson shooting suspect charged with murders of judge, congressional aide - Mar 05, 2011
- Clarence Dupnik Suspects Arizona Shooter Had An Accomplice - Jan 09, 2011
- Handwritten note reveals plan to kill US congresswoman - Jan 10, 2011
- Rep. Gabrielle Giffords to be released from hospital on Friday - Jan 20, 2011
- Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Is Recovering, Communicating With Family - Jan 14, 2011
- Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was Palin's target over 'health care reform' backing - Jan 09, 2011
- Shot Congresswoman Giffords' condition upgraded from 'critical to serious', says husband - Jan 17, 2011
Tags: abc news, astronaut, breathing tube, democrat representative, doctors, dr michael, dr peter, forehead, gabrielle giffords, left side of the brain, mark kelly, neurosurgeon, rhee, survival, trauma, tucson arizona, two fingers, us congresswoman