Shot Congresswoman now singing, enjoying matzo ball soupMarch 4th, 2011 - 6:35 pm ICT by ANI
Phoenix (Arizona, US), Mar. 4 (ANI): Democratic Representative Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot at point blank range in Tucson in January this year, has been showing emotion and an impressive grasp of song lyrics as she recovers in a Houston hospital.
CBS News quoted the wounded congresswoman’s rabbi, Stephanie Aaron, as saying that Giffords sang Don McLean’s “American Pie” with husband Mark Kelly and his two daughters, and that she knew the words better than the three of them.
Giffords also chanted a Hebrew prayer with Aaron.
Doctors have said previously that musical therapy is an important part of her recovery from a gunshot wound to the head.
Aaron also said Giffords cried when she left the room and displayed a big smile when she brought the congresswoman a card made by students at her former middle school.
Another important part of her recovery has been the return of her appetite.
“Well, she had a little chicken soup with matzo balls. I think that’s fair to report, and as we all know, it is Jewish penicillin,” another rabbi friend of Giffords told KHOU-TV.
Meanwhile, shooting suspect Jared Loughner’s attorneys have asked U.S. District Judge Larry Burns to prohibit federal prison officials from passing along confidential medical or psychological records about their client to federal prosecutors.
Defense lawyers want to bar the Bureau of Prisons from releasing information about visits by Loughner’s defense team, observations by prison staff about Loughner and any information that isn’t regularly released in prosecutions.
Robbie Sherwood, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Arizona, declined to comment on the request.
Loughner’s attorneys are alleging that passing the information along is a violation of their client’s 5th Amendment rights, as he has repeatedly invoked them when speaking to federal officials. (ANI)
- Former US Congresswoman's shooter pleads guilty - Aug 08, 2012
- Tucson shooting suspect charged with murders of judge, congressional aide - Mar 05, 2011
- Gabrielle Giffords to undergo intensive therapy - Oct 24, 2011
- Loughner indicted in Arizona shooting of US congresswoman Giffords - Jan 20, 2011
- Shot US Congresswoman Giffords now able to walk and speak - Mar 25, 2011
- U. S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Expected To Be Released On Friday - Jan 20, 2011
- Arizona Shooting Victim Gabrielle Giffords Responding To Commands, Doctors Say - Jan 10, 2011
- U.S. Rep. Giffords devastated by news of shooting deaths, but physical condition improving - Apr 24, 2011
- U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords Shot In Arizona - Jan 09, 2011
- Shot US Congresswoman Giffords to attend husband's shuttle launch on April 19 - Mar 11, 2011
- U.S. Congresswoman Giffords taken off ventilator following procedure, remains critical - Jan 16, 2011
- US Congresswoman to resign - Jan 23, 2012
- U.S. Rep. Giffords departs to Houston for rehab after surviving attack - Jan 22, 2011
- Congresswoman's attacker to appear in court today, charged on five federal counts - Jan 10, 2011
- Handwritten note reveals plan to kill US congresswoman - Jan 10, 2011
Tags: 5th amendment rights, bureau of prisons, cbs news, defense lawyers, democratic representative, don mclean, federal prosecutors, gabrielle giffords, hebrew prayer, houston hospital, jewish penicillin, larry burns, little chicken, mark kelly, matzo ball soup, matzo balls, point blank range, prison officials, prison staff, psychological records