Short-sighted Wills used loophole for RAF pilot course?January 16th, 2009 - 2:41 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 16 (ANI): Speculation is rife that short-sighted Prince William may have exploited a loophole to fulfil his dream of being an RAF pilot, for which only people with perfect 20/20 vision can apply.
The 26-year-old royal was spotted in a pair of shatter-proof specs as he began his helicopter pilots training.
According to some, the prince, who faces being nicknamed Four Eyes by RAF pals, got round the rule because he was a serving Household Cavalry officer.
RAF chiefs are allowed to consider applications from Army and Navy personnel on a case-by-case basis.
Wills, now known as Flight Lieutenant Wales, will undergo 800,000-pounds-worth of training over the next two years to become a member of the RAFs elite search and rescue team.
Prince William set his heart on becoming a pilot when he was a boy. Hes earned his place on the course because he went through Sandhurst like any other Army officer. He has already shown he has the natural skills that should make him an exceptional pilot, the Sun quoted a source at RAF Shawbury, Shrops, as saying.
The RAF confessed that the prince used the loophole to join up, but insisted no rules had been broken.
A spokeswoman said the prince had a full medical, including a thorough eyesight test, when he applied.
When corrected, his eyesight meets the standard required for a search and rescue pilot, she added. (ANI)
- William - a prince, a pilot and a patron of charities - Apr 29, 2011
- Prince William 'teases' brother Prince Harry on his 26th b'day - Sep 19, 2010
- Prince William to receive his wings on Friday - Jan 15, 2010
- Britain to sack nearly 100 air force trainee pilots - Feb 14, 2011
- Prince Williams rents lovepad for girlfriend to stay - Jan 25, 2009
- Prince William saving sailors before completing pilot training - Aug 03, 2009
- Prince William undertakes first air-sea rescue mission with RAF - Oct 06, 2010
- Prince William may delay full-time royal duties to continue RAF job - Mar 22, 2010
- Prince William to be based at RAF Valley on Anglesey as fully operational co-pilot - Apr 15, 2010
- Prince William to play stricken casualty role in helicopter training - Apr 06, 2010
- British PM to gift book to royal couple - Apr 28, 2011
- Prince William gets his helicopter wings - Sep 17, 2010
- Duchess of Cambridge takes up life as wife of an RAF pilot - May 04, 2011
- Prince William to wear military uniform for wedding - Feb 01, 2011
- Are Prince William Wedding Rumors To Kate Middleton True? - Apr 08, 2010
Tags: army and navy, army officer, becoming a pilot, cavalry officer, course london, elite search, eyesight test, flight lieutenant, four eyes, helicopter pilots, household cavalry, london jan, loophole, pilot course, prince william, raf pilot, raf shawbury, rescue pilot, sandhurst, search and rescue