Shop assistant wards off knife-wielding robber with vacuum cleaner!December 15th, 2008 - 3:15 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 15 (ANI): A shop assistant managed to ward off knife-wielding robber with nothing more than a vacuum cleaner.
Pat Convery, 55, was vacuuming the aisles at her North East Convenience Store in Kenton, Newcastle, when a masked robber entered her shop and began threatening her colleague Toni Williamson, 24, with a kitchen knife.
“He was threatening my supervisor with a knife, so I gave him a few good whacks with the vacuum,” the Telegraph quoted Convery as saying.
“It was just instinct I didn”t even think about what I was doing. I just gave him a good clout.
“It all happened so quickly. He just came in and he had a mask on covering his face. He shouted: “give us the boxes”. “He was threatening her with a knife and I just told him to get out,” she added.
The robber fled with a large amount of cash, leaving Williamson unhurt but shaken.
The cops are appealing for witnesses to the robbery to come forward and officers are studying CCTV images from the shop.
“Police received reports of a young man carrying a knife entering the North East Convenience Store, said a spokesman for Northumbria Police.
“He pushed a member of staff who was emptying a cash machine, before leaving the store with a substantial quantity of cash from the cash machine. Nobody was hurt and inquiries are ongoing,” he added. (ANI)
- Jeweller's house looted at gunpoint - Nov 30, 2011
- Man robs shop holding a coffee cup - May 10, 2012
- 'Darth Vader' Robber Jamie C. Hernandez Arrested - Sep 20, 2010
- Florist,72, kills robber in Britain - Jul 31, 2011
- Robbers walk out of Argentine bank with sacks of mail - Dec 30, 2011
- Shopkeeper in Britain prevents robbery with stick - Apr 09, 2012
- Two armed robberies in Delhi - Jun 17, 2011
- Indian student killed in US (Second Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- Shop worker chases robber from British shop - May 25, 2010
- Two killed in China college - Jul 02, 2012
- Jewellery shop looted in Ghaziabad - Feb 07, 2012
- Two students hurt in China knife attack - Feb 08, 2012
- Indian student shot dead in US (Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- Liam Gallagher's shop 'Pretty Green' looted in the London riots - Aug 10, 2011
- Chinese man jailed for robbing corn on the cob - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: aisles, clout, colleague, convenience store, convery, cops, inquiries, instinct, kitchen knife, mask, newcastle, robber, robbery, spokesman, substantial quantity, telegraph, vacuum cleaner, wards, whacks, young man