Shooting in Germany School Takes 11 LivesMarch 12th, 2009 - 12:11 am ICT by GD
At least 11 people were killed at a shootout in a German school in the south -west. Most of them are reportedly students of the Albertville Secondary School in Winnedden in the north of Stuttgart.
The shooter was said to be wearing black combat gear and could have been a 17-year old former pupil. He fled to the centre of the town after the shooting and nothing more was reported of him. Unconfirmed reports say he was shot and wounded by himself or the police or he may have been arrested. No official reports about the gunman were released yet.
Konrad Jelden, State Police Chief in Stuttgart said that those killed included students and one adult.
The chief reporter of the Stuttgart Journal newspaper said, “It’s very horrible… the parents are crying, the pupils are crying and a lot of police is there and nobody knows really what happened. They are very afraid, the pupils are calling their parents and the parents they want to pick [them] up but they can’t do this, the parents they are not allowed to get into the classrooms.”
Regional police chief Erwin Hetger said that the shooter “went into the school with a weapon and carried out a bloodbath” also adding, “I’ve never seen anything like this in my life.”
People at the scene of the shootout said students were jumping off the windows of the school when the open-fire started. The school has about 1000 pupils and is in a town approximately 12 miles north east of Stuttgart.
- Sixteen killed in German school shooting spree (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2009
- Merkel expresses shock on death of 16 in German school shooting - Mar 12, 2009
- Ten killed in German school shooting (Lead) - Mar 11, 2009
- One killed in shooting at US school (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Gunman kills 11 students in Brazil school - Apr 07, 2011
- Indian American student among wounded in US shooting (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Gunman Colton Tooley Fires Four Shots, Then Commits Suicide - Sep 29, 2010
- Gunman kills two in German school - Mar 11, 2009
- Brazil school kids ran as gunman opened fire, shows CCTV - Apr 08, 2011
- Kelly Elementary School Shooting Leaves Two Injured - Oct 09, 2010
- Five injured in US high school shooting - Feb 27, 2012
- Student Gunman, 16: Three Students Shot a Gardena High School in Los Angeles - Jan 19, 2011
- 7 killed in shooting at US gurudwara - Aug 06, 2012
- 17 students hurt in Afghanistan grenade attack - Jul 03, 2011
- US investigating Sikh gurdwara shooting as domestic terrorism - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: adult, albertville, bloodbath, chief reporter, combat gear, erwin, german school, germany, gunman, konrad, open fire, parents, police chief, pupil, pupils, regional police, secondary school, shooter, state police, stuttgart