Shiromani Akali Dals core committee meet today to discuss Mumbai clashesJune 23rd, 2008 - 10:43 am ICT by ANI
Chandigarh/Amritsar, June 23 (ANI): Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) has convened a meeting of the core committee of the party here today to discuss the situation arising out of Saturdays firing incident that took place in Mumbai.
Party President Sukhbir Singh will preside over the meeting. Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal is expected to attend the meeting.
On Sunday, Sikhs spearheading protests against Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, chief of Dera Sacha Sauda sect, decided to intensify their protests if the government failed to meet their demand.
“We appeal to the government to arrest Rahim as soon as possible. Harnam Singh Bhindarwale, chief of Damdami Taksal, has announced plans to block the railways from June 25. The Sikh community will extend their full support to him,” said Balbir Singh, a member of the Shri Guru Granth Sahib Satkar Committee.
Earlier, three people were arrested in connection with the killing of Balkar Singh, a Sikh who was protesting against the presence of Ram Rahim in Mumbai. Balkar was killed when members of the Dera Chief’s security convoy fired at the protestors in a mall here last night.
The Dera chief had gone to visit the Nirmal shopping complex in Mulund where members of the Sikh group were also present. An altercation ensued, followed by exchange of fire between the two groups.
The Dera chief had sparked a huge uproar by the Sikhs a few months back after he allegedly tried to imitate the dress and activities of the Guru Gobind Singh. He had tendered an apology, saying he had no intention of hurting the sentiments of the Sikhs, but the Sikh clerics had rejected his apology. (ANI)
- Dera case: Court rejects police cancellation report - Apr 03, 2012
- Tension prevails in Dabwali (Update) - Jul 18, 2008
- Sikh demonstrators paralyse rail routes in Punjab - Jun 25, 2008
- Punjab town tense after Sikh group-Dera followers clash - Mar 08, 2011
- Curfew imposed in Punjab town after clashes - Jan 02, 2011
- Security tight in Haryana following Sikh sect protest - Feb 28, 2010
- Punjab town curfew enters third day, relaxed briefly - Jan 04, 2011
- Sikh bodies flay political parties wooing sects in Punjab - Apr 14, 2009
- Security tightened in Punjab following Dera Sacha Sauda protest - Mar 01, 2010
- Sikh clergy lays foundation stone of Operation Bluestar memorial - May 20, 2012
- Shutdown over Sikh-Dera row hits Punjab, Haryana (Lead) - Jul 23, 2008
- Day-to-day hearing of Dera chief's rape case - Sep 28, 2011
- Sikhs-sponsored shutdown disrupts rail, road traffic in Punjab - Jul 23, 2008
- Punjab CM Badal asks Maharashtra CM to arrest Baba Ram Rahim - Jun 21, 2008
- Sikhs demand ban on Kuldip Nayar's book - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: altercation, amritsar, balbir singh, balkar, chief minister, clerics, core committee, gurmeet ram rahim, guru gobind singh, guru granth, mulund, parkash singh badal, party president, ram rahim singh, sacha sauda, shopping complex, sikh community, sikhs, sukhbir singh, uproar