Shipping firm owner kidnapped in AthensJanuary 12th, 2009 - 6:47 pm ICT by IANS
Athens, Jan 12 (DPA) The owner of a large Greek shipping company was kidnapped near his home in Athens by armed men Monday, in the third such abduction of a prominent businessman in Greece within six months.Pericles Panagopoulos, the president of Greek ferry operator Superfast Ferries, was abducted by three men carrying Kalashnikov assault rifles as he was being driven to work. His driver was reportedly set free.
Officials have discovered the burned remains of a van and a car, believed to belong to the kidnappers.
The police said they believed the abductors would eventually demand a ransom.
Superfast Ferries operates routes between Greece and Italy.
A well-known Athens doctor, who was kidnapped last month, remains missing.
In June, the chief executive of aluminium company Alumil and chairman of the Federation of Industries in the northern port city of Thessaloniki, George Milonas, was released by kidnappers two weeks after a ransom was paid.
- Greek shipping tycoon freed by kidnappers - Jan 20, 2009
- Abducted student released after 15 days - Jul 08, 2012
- No breakthrough in Bihar NIT student's abduction yet - Jul 03, 2012
- Six die in botched Pakistan hostage rescue attempt - Dec 30, 2011
- Abductors demand Rs.20 lakh to release Bihar student - Jun 30, 2012
- Bihar student's kidnappers demand Rs.10 mn ransom - Mar 01, 2012
- Nepalese ex-minister charged with kidnapping of businessman - Jan 18, 2012
- Kidnapped athlete kills his abductor - Jan 27, 2012
- Four held for abducting Class 1 boy - Apr 29, 2011
- French aid worker released in Yemen - Jul 15, 2012
- Cancer victim rescued from kidnappers - Oct 22, 2011
- Industrialist kidnapped, Rs.1 crore ransom demanded (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani boy strangled to death - Mar 18, 2012
- 'Kidnappings for ransom a lucrative business in Pakistan' - Jul 04, 2011
- Bill Clinton calls for support to Greek economy - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: abducted, abduction, abductors, alumil, armed men, athens athens, businessman, doctor who, ferry operator, greek ferry, greek shipping company, kalashnikov assault rifles, kidnappers, milonas, pericles, ransom, shipping firm, superfast ferries, thessaloniki, three men