Shelling kills 16 in Somali capitalDecember 5th, 2008 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
Mogadishu, Dec 5 (Xinhua) Sixteen people were killed and more than 20 others wounded Friday when artillery shells hit several areas in northeastern part of the Somali capital, witnesses and health officials said.Witnesses said the shells hit a number of areas, including a packed marketplace in the Suqa Holaha neighbourhood in northeastern Mogadishu. They said Ethiopian troops based in the area fired the shells.
“Six women were among those killed in the marketplace,” an eyewitness, Abdelfitah Wehliye, said.
Ten others were killed when several artillery shells landed in crowded areas of the Suqa Holaha district of Mogadishu.
Hospital sources said that they have received 20 injured people and the number could increase as many are still in critical conditions.
It was not immediately known what provoked the shelling, but local insurgent groups who usually claim responsibility after similar attacks against Ethiopian troops denied their involvement.
Neither the Ethiopian military nor Somali government officials were available for comment on the incident.
Ethiopia had sent its troops to Somalia two years ago to help the transitional government there. Recently, it had announced to withdraw its forces from Somalia by the end of this year, but later postponed it after the African Union urged the Ethiopian government to delay the pull out.
- 17 killed in Mogadishu fighting - Jun 03, 2011
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- 10 politicians among 42 dead in Somalia clashes (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Four peacekeepers killed in Somalia - Aug 30, 2010
- 15 killed in bomb blast in Somalia (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- 10 dead in suicide blast at Mogadishu airport - Sep 09, 2010
- 10 civilians among 12 killed in Mogadishu violence - Aug 05, 2008
- 40 killed in Somalia - Sep 22, 2008
- 20 dead in Mogadishu fighting - Jun 19, 2010
- One dead in UN agency blast in Somalia - Sep 24, 2011
- 17 dead in Somalia shootout - Jan 31, 2011
- Somali insurgents back Al Qaeda, clashes claim 16 lives - Feb 01, 2010
- 23 killed, dozens injured in Somalia fighting - Jun 03, 2010
- 13 killed in Somali violence - May 23, 2010