Shearer still awaiting first Newcastle winApril 28th, 2009 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 28 (DPA) Portsmouth denied Alan Shearer his first win as Newcastle United manager after a 0-0 draw at St James’s Park in the English Premier League.
The draw Monday night lifts Newcastle into 18th place, above neighbours Middlesbrough on goal difference on 31 points with just four matches remaining. Portsmouth remain four places higher on 38 points.
With Newcastle sitting in the relegation zone before the match, Shearer had staked his team’s hopes of survival on winning their three remaining home games, starting with the match against Portsmouth.
But the Newcastle fans and their manager are now facing a daunting task to remain in the Premier League after Portsmouth dented their hopes further as they still sit three points from safety.
Chances were few and far between for both sides throughout much of the match as Portsmouth looked to sit deep and hit Newcastle on the counter attack.
But with the home side becoming increasingly desperate to find the breakthrough as the match wore on, both sides will feel they could have found a winning goal.
The best chance for Newcastle fell to striker Michael Owen midway through the second half, but the England striker could only shoot weakly straight at Portsmouth goalkeeper David James.
And Richard Hughes’s headed effort against the post for Portsmouth proved to be the closest the game came to a goal with ten minutes remaining.
- Manchester City top Premier League as Bolton takes emotional win - Mar 25, 2012
- Real Madrid extend La Liga lead - Nov 21, 2011
- Napoli beat Novara to keep Champions League hopes alive - Apr 22, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Liverpool move to top in Premier League - Apr 05, 2009
- Rooney nets hat-trick as Manchester Utd cut gap on leaders - Nov 29, 2009
- Wigan strikes late to draw with Chelsea - Dec 18, 2011
- Villarreal face Manchester City in crucial Champions League tie - Nov 01, 2011
- Resurgent Arsenal beat Newcastle - Mar 13, 2012
- Villa keep hopes of fourth place alive - Apr 22, 2010
- Inter held by Atalanta at home - Mar 19, 2012
- Juventus beat Atalanta to lead midway in Serie A - Jan 22, 2012
- Real Madrid to face Sevilla in Spain's Primera Liga - Dec 15, 2011
- Manchester City draw Liverpool to maintain lead in EPL - Nov 28, 2011
- Relegation-threatened Mumbai FC face Lajong - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: breakthrough, daunting task, dpa, english premier league, goal difference, goalkeeper, home games, match, michael owen, midway, monday night, neighbours, newcastle fans, newcastle united, portsmouth, relegation zone, richard hughes, s park, safety chances, st james