Sharath leads India to victory against Norway at World TTFebruary 26th, 2008 - 6:25 pm ICT by admin
Guangzhou (China), Feb 26 (IANS) Top paddler Achanta Sharath Kamal led India to another emphatic victory at the 49th World Table Tennis Championships Tuesday, blanking Norway 3-1 in their fourth round Group E encounter here. Although India started their tie against Norway on a scratchy note with Soumyadeep Roy losing the first match against Jiangfeng Wang in straight sets 8-11, 6-11, 8-11, Sharath Kamal leveled the scores demolishing Geir Erlandsen 11-9, 11-6, 11-7.
Subhajit Saha then gave India lead defeating Espen Ronneberg 11-2, 11-5, 5-11, 11-9 and Sharath, later, squared the tie in India’s favour beating Wang 11-7, 2-11-2, 8-11, 11-6.
Meanwhile, it turned out to be disappointing outing for the women’s team as they lost their fourth round tie 2-3 against Australia.
In the first match, Neha Aggarwal battled past Miao Miao 11-4, 4-11, 4-11, 7-11, 11-5, but Poulomi Ghatak was no match for Fang Jian Lay 5-11, 11-13, 9-11 in the next.
Mouma Das then put India ahead with a 12-10, 11-7, 12-10 victory over May Cho. However, Poulomi and Neha failed to capitalise on the advantage losing both their remaining matches.
Poulomi went down straight sets to Miao 11-7, 11-6, 11-5, while Neha fought hard to go down 9-11, 11-7, 6-11, 15-13, 2-11 in the deciding encounter.
With five points, Indian men’s team shares the second position of Group E along with Norway. Egypt leads the race by a point. While the women’s team is placed at the joint third spot of their group along with Indonesia with six points, which is being headed by England (eight points) followed by Australia (seven points).
Indian men’s team will play Thailand Wednesday, while their female counterparts will be up against Estonia.
- Inter-institutional TT: Most seeded players in pre-quarters - Aug 26, 2012
- Inter-Institutional TT: Manika, Shamini, Mouma lose - Aug 26, 2012
- Olympic TT qualifier: Sharath, Amalraj, Poulomi enter knock-out stage - May 12, 2012
- National TT: Maharashtra women stun holders PSPB to enter final - Jan 25, 2012
- Asian TT: Indian men stretch Chinese Taipei in quarters - Feb 27, 2012
- London dreams of Indian paddlers shattered - May 12, 2012
- India win eight titles in ITTF junior TT event - Oct 02, 2011
- National TT: Amalraj charged with unsporting behaviour after stunning Sharath - Jan 29, 2012
- Sharath, Mouma help India move ahead in table tennis worlds - Mar 30, 2012
- Inter-institutional TT: PSPB retain men's, women's team titles - Aug 24, 2012
- PSPB sweep all four singles titles at Junior National TT - Jan 09, 2012
- West Bengal, Andhra win junior TT titles - Dec 10, 2011
- Anaka, Joshna in last 8 of Chennai Open squash - May 23, 2012
- Asian TT: Indian men, women enter quarters - Feb 24, 2012
- Olympic qualifying: Men paddlers top groups, Ankita in second stage - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: cho, emphatic victory, espen, favour, female counterparts, five points, ghatak, indian men, miao miao, paddler, saha, seven points, sharath kamal, six points, soumyadeep roy, straight sets, table tennis championships, team shares, world table tennis championships, world tt