Sharath crashes out of mens table tennis event at OlympicsAugust 20th, 2008 - 3:52 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Aug 20, (ANI): Achanta Sharath Kamal crashed out of men’’s table tennis event, at Olympic Games in Beijing. Sharath lost to Chinese-born Austrian opponent Chen Weixing in the second round of the event with a 1-4 defeat over half an hour.
Chen, prevailed at 11-5 14-12 11-2 8-11 and 12-10 aided by his forehand and backlash at the Peking University Gymnasium here.
Sharath explained he was helpless as his forehand was not proper and had erred at crucial points.
“I just could not execute my plans today and nothing really worked against him. I was erratic in the beginning and faltered in the second game when I needed to hold my nerve. In the fourth, I tried to crawl back into the match but fluffed things trying to play on to his body,” said Sharath.
It was a tactical battle that was lost against Chen, who had beaten him, in their previous meeting at the Austria Open, Sharath added.
Sharath was a recipient of Arjuna award for 2004 , had represented India in 2004 Olympics at Athens and also won gold in 2006 Commonwealth Games at Melbourne .(ANI)
- Sharath Kamal outwitted by Austrian Chen Weixing (Lead) - Aug 20, 2008
- London dreams of Indian paddlers shattered - May 12, 2012
- Table tennis: Sharath misses out on fifth qualifying spot for Olympics - Apr 21, 2012
- Chinese-born Austrian sends Sharath packing in second round - Aug 20, 2008
- Olympic qualifying: Men paddlers top groups, Ankita in second stage - Apr 19, 2012
- Asian Games TT: Sharath-Shamini in mixed doubles pre-quarters - Nov 15, 2010
- TT: Soumyajit, Ankita book London berth, heartbreak for Sharath - Apr 22, 2012
- Asian TT: Indian men stretch Chinese Taipei in quarters - Feb 27, 2012
- Asian Games TT: Sharath-Shamini in mixed doubles pre-quarters (Lead) - Nov 15, 2010
- National TT: Maharashtra women stun holders PSPB to enter final - Jan 25, 2012
- Sharath outduels Spanish flatmate, moves into second round (Lead) - Aug 19, 2008
- Olympic table tennis: China's Zhang Jike wins gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic TT qualifier: Sharath, Amalraj, Poulomi enter knock-out stage - May 12, 2012
- Asian Games TT: Sharath, Amalraj in singles pre-quarters - Nov 17, 2010
- CWG table tennis: Soumyadeep, Sharath storm into semis (Roundup) - Oct 12, 2010